The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Default Primetone pick questions

I’ve been doing comparisons on my Primetone and Ultex picks, and while both are supposedly made from Ultex, the 73 in the primetone is a whole lot brighter than the Ultex on my Gibson acoustics.

I noticed also on the site that the look of the Primetone grip pick looks lighter and more translucent than the non-grip picks. I’ve only tried the grip picks? Is the non-grip Primetone more like the feel of a normal Ultex? I like the softer attack with the Ultex vs my grip primetone but i really like the idea of the bevel on prime tones.

I’m wondering if I need to try the non-grip Primetones because my gut is telling me it might be a very different pick than the grip pick.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 07-11-2018, 06:56 PM

I have played both and I prefer the non-grip type.
I don't like picks that have any texture on the pick.

The 1.5 Primetone is my go to pick.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:58 PM

Relatively inexpensive and a lot of fun to do your own testing and draw your own conclusions, but I think you've already answered your own question. Of two given picks, (same size, shape, dimension, material) the speed beveled pick will sound brighter than the rounded pick.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 PM

The grip and non-grip Primetones are supposedly the same material. I would speculate that the heat used in molding the grip picks affects the material in a significant way. They definitely do not sound the same.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The grip and non-grip Primetones are supposedly the same material. I would speculate that the heat used in molding the grip picks affects the material in a significant way. They definitely do not sound the same.

I’ll probably pick some up when I find them, but do you know if the non-grip sounds like the comparable gauge normal Ultex pick? Right now I’m thinking that would be ideal.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike CT View Post
I’ll probably pick some up when I find them, but do you know if the non-grip sounds like the comparable gauge normal Ultex pick? Right now I’m thinking that would be ideal.
Never too fond of the Ultex models. The Primetones I have used would lead me to think its the best pick you can get for under $5. They are a little better with a bit of bevel work but fine right out of the package.

I really liked their rounded triangle models. I modified them into tri-points and extended the bevels. Very handy little tone controls.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:45 PM

Here are some of my primetone sand Ultex picks. The only smooth primetone I have is in the .73. I like it better than the Ultex in that gauge as it feels a little smoother and not as bright. I really like the Ultex in 1.0 and 1.14. The grip primetones are decent but I find that I like the smooth and the Ultex much better. Also with the Ultex they make them with a regular point and a sharp point and the sharp point gives a different sound and feels different when attacking.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:55 PM

I use primetone 1.5mm and have comapred to much more expensive picks blue chip, wegen, primetone are the best bang for buck
Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 PM

I've got just about every gauge and shape of Primetone pick there is, and some of them are a good bang for the buck...

A few of them are pretty good, but I don't think much of the grippy translucent ones.. the tone just sounds thin to me...

None of them stack up against my Blue Chips, but the .88 gauge is a really good pick that I can drop in my pocket when I'm going out without worrying about losing it….
Old 07-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
I do not think they sound the same either. I prefer the opaque non-grip Primetones in terms of feel and tone.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 AM

The browns are great, particularly in thicker gauges, very viable alternative to Blue Chips. The translucent sound quite a bit brighter and harsher to me.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have played both and I prefer the non-grip type.
I don't like picks that have any texture on the pick.

The 1.5 Primetone is my go to pick.
I am exactly the opposite. But we agree on gauge. I prefer the sculpted translucent triangles. They are great for picking on my Tele.

I think either version sounds great on all my guitars. Just depends on what i want to play.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Good surmise, HHP. However, wouldn't the bevel on the Primetone possibly make it brighter than the Ultex (which is a standard rounded edge)? Just curious.

scott memmer
Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Good surmise, HHP. However, wouldn't the bevel on the Primetone possibly make it brighter than the Ultex (which is a standard rounded edge)? Just curious.

scott memmer
Sounds reasonable but the factory bevel on the Primetones is so conservative I doubt it matters. The edge on Primetones is more like a slight flat spot on the leading and trailing edge than a real bevel. They are vastly improved by extending that over the full edge thickness.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Sounds reasonable but the factory bevel on the Primetones is so conservative I doubt it matters. The edge on Primetones is more like a slight flat spot on the leading and trailing edge than a real bevel. They are vastly improved by extending that over the full edge thickness.
Gotcha. You know one of the reasons we never got into bevels is because there so many different bevels to consider. With almost every advanced player I've dealt with, they do their own bevels. Like you, they even rebevel the factory bevels. Go figure.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion