The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-15-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconDanny View Post
Okey that makes sense. I went to my local music store to have a look at it today and it felt, looked and sounded great (the store owner played it for me so I could hear how it's supposed to sound instead of me just randomly hammering the keys [emoji23])

I think I'm now decided on the iPad Pro 12.9 inch, Apogee Mic+ and the Roland FP30. The iRig can wait for later and I'll get it if I feel I need it. Thank you both for the help!

Now I just have to figure out where to put the piano in our already crammed apartment. And convince the wife that it deserves a place in our home [emoji16]
Cool but understand that the scenario you just presented will NOT allow you to get audio from the Roland. Midi data only. No sounds. The Roland will remain silent
Old 06-15-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Cool but understand that the scenario you just presented will NOT allow you to get audio from the Roland. Midi data only. No sounds. The Roland will remain silent
Yeah I get that but I can still get the sounds through Garageband to monitor while I'm playing right? Like through headphones
Old 06-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah I get that but I can still get the sounds through Garageband to monitor while I'm playing right? Like through headphones
I'm not sure we're on the same page here but.....you can not monitor any audio from the Roland, through Garage Band. Not without a separate audio interface. A midi interface will not pass audio. You can of course record midi but it won't make any sounds unless you use a third party virtual piano. At that point you've purchased a Roland ostensibly for it's good piano sounds and then negate using those sounds. It essentially renders the Roland a very expensive piece of equipment you can't record audio with.

The Roland won't play with Garage Band without an audio interface like the iRig. Hope I'm making sense here
Old 06-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure we're on the same page here but.....you can not monitor any audio from the Roland, through Garage Band. Not without a separate audio interface. A midi interface will not pass audio. You can of course record midi but it won't make any sounds unless you use a third party virtual piano. At that point you've purchased a Roland ostensibly for it's good piano sounds and then negate using those sounds. It essentially renders the Roland a very expensive piece of equipment you can't record audio with.

The Roland won't play with Garage Band without an audio interface like the iRig. Hope I'm making sense here
Okey but what about the virtual pianos in GarageBand? I can hear that sound while playing? Just not the actual sound produced by the piano?

Or do you mean the recorded midi sound from the virtual pianos will only be playable after it is recorded? Won't the GarageBand software produce the sounds as you play?

And didn't you say earlier that I would only be able to record audio and not midi and that you preferred midi and then trigger sounds?

Please have patience with my confusion in this 🤣

The recording part is secondary however. First of all I want the piano to learn to play and to have fun with. Then I might want to do some recording later

Last edited by BaconDanny; 06-15-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Okey but what about the virtual pianos in GarageBand? I can hear that sound while playing? Just not the actual sound produced by the piano?

Or do you mean the recorded midi sound from the virtual pianos will only be playable after it is recorded? Won't the GarageBand software produce the sounds as you play?

And didn't you say earlier that I would only be able to record audio and not midi and that you preferred midi and then trigger sounds?

Please have patience with my confusion in this 🤣

The recording part is secondary however. First of all I want the piano to learn to play and to have fun with. Then I might want to do some recording later
Yes absolutely. If you have some sort of virtual piano or sampler of some kind, and one or both may very well come with Garage Band, then you could use the Roland to trigger, monitor and record piano (or anything else) within Garage Band. That'd work well!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Yes absolutely. If you have some sort of virtual piano or sampler of some kind, and one or both may very well come with Garage Band, then you could use the Roland to trigger, monitor and record piano (or anything else) within Garage Band. That'd work well!
Good, now it all makes sense Thank you!
Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Okey so here it is Digital Piano will have to wait until we buy a house - the apartment is just too crammed as it is.

Thanks for the advices guys! Now I'm ready to try out some music recording/producing on a reeeeeally basic hobby level [emoji16]
Old 06-18-2018, 03:48 PM

Take a look at Lynda.com if you don't mind paying a little for good courses. Garrick Chow has a course on iPad music production that (while a few years old) is still very helpful. There's also a Garageband for iOS course.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron_Talley View Post
Take a look at Lynda.com if you don't mind paying a little for good courses. Garrick Chow has a course on iPad music production that (while a few years old) is still very helpful. There's also a Garageband for iOS course.
Thanks, I'll have a look
Old 06-19-2018, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

How about an iPad dock mixer. There are a couple of companies making them., in various levels of recording quality. Not much of an IPad recorder but I saw this a couple months back when I got an iPad for general use

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-digital-mixer

They have a 16 track version

Edit - just relized you picked up the Apogee set up.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-20-2018, 09:35 AM

Default Recording with iPad

Hi, just my humble take on the subject,
Maybe it helps someone.
I recently bought the new iPad 2018 (not Pro) thinking it might become my main recorder
in my minimalist guitare-salon where focus is on writing/playing.
My experiments trying to record with Garageband :
-Focusrite iTrack dock = clicks, pops, radom errors, noise - sent it back
-iRig pro duo = clicks, pops, random, error - sent it back
-Art Tubemix + usb to lightning adaptor = same bs
-I am back to my old Mac mini / Lion / Fast Track Ultra / Pro Tool 10 set up (works fine)
-I kept the Tubemix as a pre amp (very nice, quiet and cool little mixer)
-iRig pre works fine, it's using the analogue mic input.
-CME xkey 25 midi keyboard works fine with proper usb adaptor.
So :
iPad / iRig pre will be for ideas in single track recording mode.
Older Mac Mini setup will stay my main recording rig.
Dan

Last edited by zguitz; 06-20-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: correcting name error
Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zguitz View Post
Maybe it helps someone.
I recently bought the new iPad 2018 (not Pro) thinking it might become my main recorder
-I am back to my old Mac mini / Lion / Fast Track Ultra / Pro Tool 10 set up (works fine)
So :
Dan
I'm slightly confused as to how this might be helpful. Is your supposition the iPad doesn't work for recording?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Sorry for the confusion.
I am sharing my recent experiences with an iPad 2018.
Just make sure you can return whatever audio interface you buy.
Just in case.
Dan
Old 06-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe it helps someone.
So :
Dan

So far the Apogee Mic+ has worked very well for me. I have only tried maybe 10 recordings and I am a beginner with almost nothing to compare with as reference but I have not experienced any clicks, pops, random errors or noise The sound is very clear from the guitar and also the voice recordings sound fine (as fine as my singing voice can sound [emoji23])
So my extremely limited experience so far is that acoustic recordings work very well with this setup.

The monitor output also works very well from the Apogee.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion.
I am sharing my recent experiences with an iPad 2018.
Just make sure you can return whatever audio interface you buy.
Just in case.
Dan
Got cha. That makes a bit more sense Clicks, pops, noise and random errors doesn't sound like a hardware issue especially when three consecutive devices, all by different manufactures displayed very similar behavior. Hard to tell of course but that sounds like a clock/sync error which on an iPad most certainly would have been software related.

Just for the benefit of those still contemplating an iPad I'm curious if you tried any other software other than GarageBand? And if not did you try re-installing GarageBand? This feels like a pretty classic case of sample rate errors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD