The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 AM

Default Buzzing on certain note combinations

Im noticing a buzzing sound when I hit certain 2 note combos on my guitar. Does that mean that these 2 notes together are making a certain frequency that's causing a buzz? Could there be something loose somewhere on or inside the guitar? What should I check?

thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM

It might be a back buzz, i.e. a string buzzing between nut and the fret you are, well, fretting.
I have this on two guitars where I’m fretting both the low E and g strings on the seventh fret. The d from the g string causes the low E string to buzz between the nut and the seventh fret.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzizm View Post
It might be a back buzz, i.e. a string buzzing between nut and the fret you are, well, fretting.
I have this on two guitars where I’m fretting both the low E and g strings on the seventh fret. The d from the g string causes the low E string to buzz between the nut and the seventh fret.
And it doesn't happen when you fret the same notes individually?
Old 06-13-2018, 01:36 PM

I fret the B on the low E (2nd finger)and the d on the g string (3rd finger), play only the d or both notes at the same time and there’s the buzz.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:07 PM

It does sound like back buzz.

Either raise the nut slightly with a piece or two of writing paper or very slightly increase the neck relief.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It does sound like back buzz.

Either raise the nut slightly with a piece or two of writing paper or very slightly increase the neck relief.
What exactly is back buzz? Is it caused by a high fret between the note I'm fretting and the nut? Wouldn't I be able to hear the buzz coming directly from the fret?
Should I check the area with a fret rocker?
Old 06-13-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What exactly is back buzz? Is it caused by a high fret between the note I'm fretting and the nut? Wouldn't I be able to hear the buzz coming directly from the fret?
Should I check the area with a fret rocker?
Short answer: it is the portion of one or more strings between the nut and a fretted note that vibrates. It generally is not related to a high fret: it is usually sympathetic vibration, hence why it vibrates at certain pitches and not others. To fix it, one needs to change the geometry of the string relative to the playing surface of the frets. As I wrote previously, raise the nut a hair and/or change the curvature of the neck slightly.

Do a forum and/or internet search, you'll find lots of information about it. Some of it even good.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 06-13-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:45 PM

If you watch videos of the Milk Carton Kids , you will notice that the player that plays the capoed Martin places a tied cloth around the neck , between the capo and the nut to stop this from happening
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 06-13-2018, 11:15 PM

Back buzz almost always occurs on the low E. As a result, you only need to raise the low E at the nut to eliminate it. To test it, fret that string at the fret that is causing the buzz, then pluck the string above the fret. Listen for the note, then compare it to the note that is causing the problem on the other string.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:08 AM

I don't think this is back buzz. The buzz seems to be happening when I strum the D and A strings hard and the strings seems to be rattling off the lower neck area. If I strum lightly, no buzz. I guess I could increase relief but its already at .010
Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I don't think this is back buzz. The buzz seems to be happening when I strum the D and A strings hard and the strings seems to be rattling off the lower neck area. If I strum lightly, no buzz. I guess I could increase relief but its already at .010
When you strum the D and A strings OPEN, or when fretted? If fretted, at specific frets only?

You originally state it buzzes when "I hit certain 2 note combos". What are those certain two notes?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
When you strum the D and A strings OPEN, or when fretted? If fretted, at specific frets only?

You originally state it buzzes when "I hit certain 2 note combos". What are those certain two notes?
Yes I though that was the issue, but it's actually not caused by certain 2 note combos....just certain notes picked harder than usual. I'll check it again and try and give a more precise statement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair