The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Default considering an amp

no real hurry here, but im considering upgrading my frontman 15r for a better amp, i see a used fender princeton 65 DSP and a used roland cube 30x for sale, both are $100 bucks, i just wandered if there's any opinion from anyone that used either amp thx john
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Both of those amps are good choices. I'd likely favor the Roland for slightly better effects and the on-board tuner which is nice. I have also had really good luck with Roland products and CUBE amps.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

The Roland is pretty good. Can you spend a little more and get a Boss Katana 50? They are right around $200 and great amps.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 PM

The Bugera V5 Infinium routinely sells for $199...

Holiday sales/coupon days can get that down to $149-159...

Basic two-tube, single-ended Class-A five-watter, best built-in digi-verb I've heard to date, built-in attenuator (5W/1W/0.1W) and headphone out let you practice at 3 AM without incurring the wrath of your neighbors/S.O./cat - and it'll drive a 2x12"/4x12" cab at OSHA-approved levels if you're so inclined...

These little tone machines (most far more expensive than the V5) have become quite the rage for good reason - I use mine for weekly band rehearsals and coffeehouse gigs, has all the volume/tones (plural intended) I need; sometimes less really is more when it comes to guitar amps - and if you're serious about electric guitar you will need one of these sooner than later...

The big-box/online dealers should have their Memorial Day sales kicking in any day now - regardless of your musical preferences, given the price you almost can't afford not to own one...
Old 05-17-2018, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The Bugera V5 Infinium routinely sells for $199...

Holiday sales/coupon days can get that down to $149-159...

Basic two-tube, single-ended Class-A five-watter, best built-in digi-verb I've heard to date, built-in attenuator (5W/1W/0.1W) and headphone out let you practice at 3 AM without incurring the wrath of your neighbors/S.O./cat - and it'll drive a 2x12"/4x12" cab at OSHA-approved levels if you're so inclined...

These little tone machines (most far more expensive than the V5) have become quite the rage for good reason - I use mine for weekly band rehearsals and coffeehouse gigs, has all the volume/tones (plural intended) I need; sometimes less really is more when it comes to guitar amps - and if you're serious about electric guitar you will need one of these sooner than later...

The big-box/online dealers should have their Memorial Day sales kicking in any day now - regardless of your musical preferences, given the price you almost can't afford not to own one...
I recently bought one and am really enjoying it. The variable wattage is a great feature, and you can get a nice, full tube sound at a surprising volume from just 1 watt. Personally, I find tube amps to be more satisfying than solid state ones.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM

If you've got a 12" speaker cabinet, the Bugera V5 Infinium would be a good choice. I don't like any electric guitar tone that comes out of an 8" speaker (but I haven't played the Bugera).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-18-2018, 10:11 AM

i tried the cube, really didnt like it, it seemed the amp had alot of buzz in it, the guy seemed to be aware of this, the princeton was no longer available, there was an ad on craiglist for a bugera v5, but the guy never got back to me, so ill just keep and eye out for a good deal, they do come up, and im patient
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

You owe it to yourself to try the Katana. All of the best Boss pedals built right in!
Old 05-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
... there was an ad on craiglist for a bugera v5, but the guy never got back to me, so ill just keep and eye out for a good deal, they do come up, and i'm patient
The earliest Bugera V-Series had some well-documented initial-production bugs - excessive hum, channel-switching issues, reverb cutting out, among others - which have long since been resolved in post-2009 and Infinium versions; PSA: never, ever, for any reason whatsoever, buy a used "blue-light" Bugera - quite frankly, at current new-in-box prices there's no need - and if you're really strapped take my (and Sean's) word that it's well worth the wait while you save a few extra bucks...
Old 05-26-2018, 11:04 AM

ordered a used super champ xd from GC, course i got stuck with tax and shipping, ending up $209, but thats life i guess, im sure (if the amp is any good) ill be ok with this because i stupidly sold a SCX2 i really liked, from what i remember though, the amp modes could of been a little better
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Super Champ XD is a great amp, If you can find them give the Joyo heads a try. unreal soundd, effects loupe and headphone out, several different models, The Blue Jay is a Fender sound, I have the Zombie (voiced like a Boogie) and I sold my Boogie after getting this, put a great 12AX7 in it and go to town
Old 06-02-2018, 02:29 PM

got the amp today, question and a comment, question 1st, do you have reverb on the clean channel 1? (reverb is on the effects stuff) all the effects seems to work but i dont really hear any difference in reverb- ill admit, i do have funky hearing wearing an implant, meaning i virtually have no acoustic, pitch, or much tonal hearing, now the comment, i do have a $80 used vox ad30vt amp for years, it seems the vox has a much superior effects and amp mode sections, only thing it doesnt have is that fender twang all tube sound on the clean channel, i might it to GC and see what gives about the reverb and have 30 days to decide what im going to do with it, i cant make a decision right away because it takes me a while to get used to a new amp sound with my hearing
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 06-03-2018, 10:40 AM

after playing it till my fingers got numb and sore, i am getting used to it, it does seem to have reverb on the clean channel, but not very pronounced, i might get that checked out, other then that, its turning into a nice amp after figuring out what it all does
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 07-07-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
You owe it to yourself to try the Katana. All of the best Boss pedals built right in!
Totally agree here! BOSS Katana is one of the best modeling amps ever!! I just sold my Mustang III V2 and Vox for a new Katana Artist. OMG!!! I absolutely love this amp. The 50 and 100 watt Katana's are just awesome.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:02 PM

What he said. The Boss Katana 50,(about $200) or the K100, ($399) I personally would stay away from a Bugara as they have a well deseved history of bad reliability.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars