The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatswalmi View Post
That’s awesome! Can I ask a quick question about your x20? How is it for volume unplugged? I haven’t found much online without really good mic’s or pickup.
I'm afraid I have not played it out yet so I can't really gauge if it would be loud enough for your purposes. Compared to my Crosby dreadnought, it is not as loud, but that guitar is pretty loud to begin with. Seemed a bit quieter when I first got it, but after four or five days, I seemed to get more out of it. Nice deep bass as well. Unfortunately my memories aren't the most fresh as I've been away for a while. I certainly don't regret the purchase and look forward to another week from now when I can finally get back to playing it.

The looks don't hurt either...
Old 04-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith View Post
I'm afraid I have not played it out yet so I can't really gauge if it would be loud enough for your purposes. Compared to my Crosby dreadnought, it is not as loud, but that guitar is pretty loud to begin with. Seemed a bit quieter when I first got it, but after four or five days, I seemed to get more out of it. Nice deep bass as well. Unfortunately my memories aren't the most fresh as I've been away for a while. I certainly don't regret the purchase and look forward to another week from now when I can finally get back to playing it.

Looks like one of them upside down things
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-15-2018, 02:28 PM

Gorgeous guitar.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith View Post

Beautiful (even if upside down)!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatswalmi View Post
That’s awesome! Can I ask a quick question about your x20? How is it for volume unplugged? I haven’t found much online without really good mic’s or pickup.
This question get asked frequently here. I think a lot of it is perspective: when I received my X20, I had been playing my X7 exclusively for a month or so... the X20 sounded LOUD! It took me a few sessions with it to appreciate that it can be played quietly, but it really kicks when you dig in.

When I got home a couple months later, I had the opportunity to compare the X20 with my Taylor 814. The X20 was louder and I like the tone better. That doesn't mean I like my 814 any less. But, I do like the X20 better. Others have had different opinions... and that is why there are a lot of guitar options out there. I still like my wood guitars, but the two Emeralds get a vast majority of the play time - great sound, excellent playability, and so comfortable.

They are more than just "a swoopy guitar" (something I heard once) - I feel they are a step forward in an industry that thinks "different bracing" is revolutionary. Alistair and the crew at Emerald are making some great instruments, and they have changed how I evaluate guitars.

No, you can't go into a store and try one out. Just like you can't go to a boutique guitar maker and pull one "out of the stock." My first Emerald was a leap of faith, based on all that I had been hearing about them. The second Emerald I bought was a confirmation.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:12 PM
Guest 928

What a beautiful instrument! I found that strings made a big different on my nylon strung 20. I also found that the 20 could be played from soft and seductive to loud and belligerent. It's a great guitar and you done good.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
you done good.

Such grammar
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-15-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
This question get asked frequently here. I think a lot of it is perspective: when I received my X20, I had been playing my X7 exclusively for a month or so... the X20 sounded LOUD! It took me a few sessions with it to appreciate that it can be played quietly, but it really kicks when you dig in.

When I got home a couple months later, I had the opportunity to compare the X20 with my Taylor 814. The X20 was louder and I like the tone better. That doesn't mean I like my 814 any less. But, I do like the X20 better. Others have had different opinions... and that is why there are a lot of guitar options out there. I still like my wood guitars, but the two Emeralds get a vast majority of the play time - great sound, excellent playability, and so comfortable.

They are more than just "a swoopy guitar" (something I heard once) - I feel they are a step forward in an industry that thinks "different bracing" is revolutionary. Alistair and the crew at Emerald are making some great instruments, and they have changed how I evaluate guitars.

No, you can't go into a store and try one out. Just like you can't go to a boutique guitar maker and pull one "out of the stock." My first Emerald was a leap of faith, based on all that I had been hearing about them. The second Emerald I bought was a confirmation.

Thanks Cap’n. That’s really helpful!
Old 04-15-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

I had a chance to go to his factory years ago (2005), as I mentioned on this thread or another thread. I got to play the different models he had and they were all great. They’re different models now with the offset soundholes and everything. But they have only gotten better. I really don’t think you could go wrong with one of his full sized guitars.

I am sure they have only gotten better over the years.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 PM

I noticed on Emerald's site he has a B-spec (like a factory second) Green X20 with a pretty decent price ($1850 or so). It has a variance in the CF weave on the back of the guitar, so it is being offered at a pretty nice discount.

I mention that to say, you might want to check his site for those b-specs for a good deal.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
I noticed on Emerald's site he has a B-spec (like a factory second) Green X20 with a pretty decent price ($1850 or so). It has a variance in the CF weave on the back of the guitar, so it is being offered at a pretty nice discount.

I mention that to say, you might want to check his site for those b-specs for a good deal.

That’s a great idea. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2018, 02:12 AM

Several years ago I posted here, about how LOUD my X-20 was...This was fingerpicking in a 2500+ sq. ft. "cabin" and my Niece (upstairs) commented on the sound...
I did not find my post, but if you go to the search button at the bottom of the page, type in "X20 & Loud", then it is pretty amazing what the Guys & Gals have said over the years!!!

Now I'm gonna do a search on Rainsong Jumbo & Loud to see what pops up...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Several years ago I posted here, about how LOUD my X-20 was...This was fingerpicking in a 2500+ sq. ft. "cabin" and my Niece (upstairs) commented on the sound...

I did not find my post, but if you go to the search button at the bottom of the page, type in "X20 & Loud", then it is pretty amazing what the Guys & Gals have said over the years!!!

Now I'm gonna do a search on Rainsong Jumbo & Loud to see what pops up...

Excellent! Thanks so much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber