The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 AM

Default Acoustic Guitar Polish - Sticker Glue Remover

I recently purchased a Blueridge BR 341 as a beater to travel and take to the office. I love the guitar and it plays really well. The prior owner had a decal or sticker on the top of the guitar and in the removal process there is an area that when you run your fingers the finish is not smooth. I tried cleaning the area and used Dunlop 65. I usually would use Gibson Guitar Polish but didn't have any. When you look at the guitar straight on you can't see any flaws you have to put it at an angle to see where the sticker was or feel it.

Are there any guitar polishes I should be considering? The finish Is not gone and it's still there.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:47 AM

Try a little naptha.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Yep, naphtha is my go-to for removing sticky-stuff and general gunge.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:08 AM

I looked up Naphta it seems to be a chemical not a brand? Is that the specific name of something I can buy at a guitar store or do I go to Home Depot or a hard were store? Also will it remove the finish? That is not the intent. Thanks for your response.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic Guitar Polish - Sticker Glue Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 View Post
I looked up Naphta it seems to be a chemical not a brand? Is that the specific name of something I can buy at a guitar store or do I go to Home Depot or a hard were store? Also will it remove the finish? That is not the intent. Thanks for your response.

It's lighter fluid and it won't hurt the finish. I've used it in nitro and poly finished guitars with no problems.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 View Post
A brand name you can look for is "Ronsonol". I've bought mine several places....usually someplace that sells cigarettes, pipe cleaners, etc. might be as easy as going to a nearby convenience store or mini-market. Hardware store might not have it, or it might, and I wouldn't think Home Depot would be the most likely place either. It doesn't remove or damage the finish (though I wouldn't use it on a matte finish). If the finish is already damaged, it might remove gunk that is covering the damage. It sounds like your finsih is still in tact, but since I haven't inspected the guitar, I can't say for certain.

I used Ronsonol to clean up an old, neglected 1970 D 18...it just cut through grime and sticky stuff, and enabled me to get to what remained of the original finish. Unfortunately, the Martin had been stored with an old vinyl strap for a couple of decades, and the vinyl interacted with the finish and had effectively removed the finsih in some areas in the back. It was obvious that the finsih was damaged before I started: it was liquid-y and gooey in those spots, and would smear around when I touched it...the guitar wasn't playable in that condition. Now, most of the guitar has its original shine, and the gooey parts are now clean, exposed wood...not the best, but playable.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Ronsonol (lighter fluid) removes stickers and sticker residue without damaging finish. I use it extensively for removing stickers and residue from old vinyl LP record covers. It works great.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:06 AM

You can buy naptha at Home Depot, Lowes, general hardware stores, also at WM, I think. Cheap, a pint or quart will last you several lifetimes. I used it to remove 30 years of arm grunge from the lower bought of my guitar w/no adverse effects on its nitro finish.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM

Thank you all for the responses. I will try and get the Ronsonol this morning and will let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I just use the lighter fluid I light my grill with (Kingsford or the like). Works just fine.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:38 AM

Default Just another option that doesn't require chemicals...

Has anyone mentioned Naptha/lighter fluid yet?

Another trick is to take a piece of tape, like Scotch tape, lay it across the sticky residue and peel it off. The residue will adhere to the tape.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:52 PM

In my day somebody always had a canna Ronsonol for the Zippo flopping around in the back seat of their 68 Falcon so this was never a problem for us.

rct
Old 02-09-2018, 03:06 PM

If the Naptha doesn't work 100%, try some Meguiars X2.0 scratch remover.
It is a super fine polish I use to remove swirls and very light scratches on my Sunbursts. Won't hurt the finish at all.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion