The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 PM

I just can't see all the negative responses when it comes to using Delay or Reverb on an acoustic. It's all about space. The FX can be used so they are barely perceptable but fix the shortcomings that may come from just plugging a pickup straight into an amp to put back a little bit of air. A crutch you say???? Who says you can't play at a ridiculously high technical level and still use FX? I just don't understand that type of mindset.

That said, I just put a GREAT combination reverb/delay unit on my scaled back acoustic guitar pedal board. It's called the Delay Workstation by Robert Keeley. Great studio quality sonics, host of features, and easy to adjust on the fly. I love the tap tempo feature as I use a lot of beat timed delays....

https://robertkeeley.com/product/delay-workstation/

Old 12-06-2017, 03:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=rockabilly69;5559984]I just can't see all the negative responses when it comes to using Delay or Reverb on an acoustic. It's all about space. The FX can be used so they are barely perceptable but fix the shortcomings that may come from just plugging a pickup straight into an amp to put back a little bit of air. A crutch you say???? Who says you can't play at a ridiculously high technical level and still use FX? I just don't understand that type of mindset.

Keeley makes really fine stuff. I have his 30MS for doubling.

As far as all the negative responses go you have to remember that you're often dealing with people's romantic notions & tradition, especially here.

I didn't even mic the guitar on this track. We mic'd the Fishman Loudbox Performer, set the delay time at 1-o'clock, chorus on minimum. The 'distortion' you're hearing is me overdriving the top of my Flammang L-40 in open C tuning, playing very hard, and because I use a soundboard transducer only, the energy translates very smoothly.

There is no way to mistake this for an electric guitar.

This setting & attack would not work for any of my other compositions. It's all about serving the song.

https://soundcloud.com/user-676357162/rumble-strut

Same guitar on mic's & minimal ambience:

https://soundcloud.com/user-67635716...-oso-landslide

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Keeley makes really fine stuff. I have his 30MS for doubling.

As far as all the negative responses go you have to remember that you're often dealing with people's romantic notions & tradition, especially here.

I didn't even mic the guitar on this track. We mic'd the Fishman Loudbox Performer, set the delay time at 1-o'clock, chorus on minimum. The 'distortion' you're hearing is me overdriving the top of my Flammang L-40 in open C tuning, playing very hard, and because I use a soundboard transducer only, the energy translates very smoothly.

There is no way to mistake this for an electric guitar.

This setting & attack would not work for any of my other compositions. It's all about serving the song.

https://soundcloud.com/user-676357162/rumble-strut

Same guitar on mic's & minimal ambience:

https://soundcloud.com/user-67635716...-oso-landslide

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Great songs that prove my point! We would probably get along great if we ever met face to face Howard!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 12-06-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM

My delay is always on on my guitar. I adjust it higher and lower depending on the song and type of song. As others have mentioned, I use it to create space and I find it adds a lot to my sound. I use the T-Rex Replay box and I love its tiny size! I find that reverb can really muddy up the sound in certain rooms so I'm often using just delay.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 PM

A fun trick I do sometimes when I run two channels instead of blending on my preamp is to set the delay to a really short time and feedback level but run it all the way wet on one channel. Widens the sound really nicely and isn’t really a perceivable effect really.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:21 PM

Default Amplification alters an acoustic signal

reverb and delay don't change the tone as much as they create a spacial environment for the tone to exist. Used conservatively it can enhance the listeners experience. It isn't uncommon for a sound person to color the guitar with some reverb in the house mix. I would always prefer to have more control over my sound.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:12 AM

Zombie thread. But ill add i have a cc delay
on my acoustic pedalboard and like it alot.
A little delay mixed with a little reverb
is a wonderful inhancement to an acoustic .
trick is moderation.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:21 AM

My standard sound is to put a nice reverb on the guitar and vocals, then bring it down to just under the point where a person will notice it on both. Then I add a bit of four or five hundred millisecond delay on just the guitar and bring it down to just under where you notice it as well. I set it that way and leave it.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
No one has mentioned the Boss DD20 which is a really solid pedal. 4 savable slots and a looper built in. Also allows you to tap your own tempos in with it's own pedal or by remote. I really like the modulation and tape settings for some subtle repeats. Used they're going around $130.
Man i have been looking and looking for a DD20 and I cant seem to find them anywhere under 200 bucks used.

For now my DD3 is working just fine. I have a Rocktron Short Timer that I paid a whopping 25 bucks for and it's great for playing with my Gretsch 5422.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Cool Delay & Reverb

My weapon of choice is:

My T.C.Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme has really superb FX including the Flashback Delay &
Hall Of Fame Reverb ( several to choose from ) , and so many more . The FX are fully tweakable/adjustable .

It's 5 different BodyRez presets are more than pleasing , but you can use it's mic input ( it can take a LDC w/phantom )
and be able to access all the guitar FX .

You can use the vocal doubler FX along with the above mentioned electric guitar FX .

Doesn't get much better than that IMHO . The MP-76 has a super cardioid pattern and is feed back resistant .
It has two internal shock mounts .

It picks up well on all my diverse acoustic instruments:
  1. Harmonica
  2. Ukulele
  3. 000 resonator
  4. 000 acoustic Spanish Classical nylon
  5. Dreads
The MP-76 is designed for the T.C. VoiceLive 3 - & X as well as several other models for hand held triggering of
Loop Start/Stop , Preset Changers and FX .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 01-01-2019, 04:50 PM

Thumbs up FX Adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
My standard sound is to put a nice reverb on the guitar and vocals, then bring it down to just under the point where a person will notice it on both. Then I add a bit of four or five hundred millisecond delay on just the guitar and bring it down to just under where you notice it as well. I set it that way and leave it.

It's nice when you dial in your prefered FX sound .

EZ :

HR

Old 01-01-2019, 05:01 PM

Default Electric Guitar FX On Acoustic Nylon Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I just can't see all the negative responses when it comes to using Delay or Reverb on an acoustic. It's all about space. The FX can be used so they are barely perceptable but fix the shortcomings that may come from just plugging a pickup straight into an amp to put back a little bit of air. A crutch you say???? Who says you can't play at a ridiculously high technical level and still use FX? I just don't understand that type of mindset.

That said, I just put a GREAT combination reverb/delay unit on my scaled back acoustic guitar pedal board. It's called the Delay Workstation by Robert Keeley. Great studio quality sonics, host of features, and easy to adjust on the fly. I love the tap tempo feature as I use a lot of beat timed delays....

https://robertkeeley.com/product/delay-workstation/

No diss here man .

Your unit looks a lot like the digital read out on my T.C. Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme .

One of the best examples of electric guitar FX on an acoustic is Rodrigo and Gabriela

Then there is the great Tonne Estas :

EZ :

HR

Old 01-01-2019, 05:42 PM

Last edited by Spook; 01-01-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:09 PM

I have an Ibanez Mini Analog Delay that works very will with acoustic guitar, and the Mooer Ana Echo equally as nice - both under $100.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification