The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 12-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Default 3/4ish Sized Harp Guitar?

Does anyone know of any 3/4ish sized harp guitar plans? I'm a (very) amateur builder and I have a really nice billet of curly redwood that I just had resawn for a potential guitar top. It will be a full 16" wide when joined, and about 28.5" long. It won't be long enough to do a full sized harp guitar...probably a good 4-5" short I'd imagine.

But I was thinking it might be cool to make a little 3/4 sized couch harp guitar.

I don't know if the best option is to size a full set of plans down and then just build according to that minimized plan...or I might go get a Taylor mini and just replicate the guitar portion plus the added bass arm.

This project may well be a disaster...but I'm having fun thinking about it!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Kathy Wingert made a short scale harp guitar. Not quite the same but same idea.

http://www.harpguitarmusic.com/listings/hg-wingert.htm
Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Muriel Anderson had Mike Doolin build her a shorter harp guitar. How short?? I don't know. Short enough to fit in the overhead compartment of an airplane. It's a 21 string, but she leaves off one treble for a bit more playing room thus a 20 string harp guitar. The nylon strings sound quite nice I think.

Maybe just call it a tenor harp guitar. Murial tunes hers up a whole step and it sounds wonderful. I also don't think the spruce extends all the way to the end of the harp headstock so you may get more length out of your piece, but I really don't know.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:25 PM

I believe both Brunner and Emerald make a "small" HG. Look their sites up for more info.
But the best thing to do would be contact "The Pope " Gregg Miner at harpguitars.net; he can provide you or direct you to all kinds of information.

Last edited by Naboz; 12-04-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Second thought.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:28 PM

My good friend Mr Dave White makes them.

www.defaoiteguitars.com

Keith
Old 05-20-2018, 01:32 PM

I made one a few years ago for Ken Bonfield based on a body about the size of a Martin size 1, 13" across the lower bout. It folds up to go into a box that will fit in the overhead, which dictated the width. The 'folding' part was a lot of work, but it would be pretty straightforward to make one that didn't fold. Ironically, it would still be small enough to get a 'flight' case for, too.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:29 PM

My next project will be something of the sort. Not sure what I'm going to call it yet... maybe octave harp ukulele? 8 string instrument (4 neck, 4 harp), laid out like my harp ukuleles but tuned an octave lower (CDEF GCGC), or up to G or down to A using different string gauges. Not a super versatile instrument, but super fun and easy to play

String lengths range 29" to 20". I drew up one 14" lower bout version and one 15". I like the 14" better. Soundboard length is 29", but you could make it work with 28.5" by lengthening the harp headplate.

I haven't made a printable vector plan yet, but I could if you want to build one.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:32 PM

As far as plans, no. As far as designs, sizes and terminology, I did my organological thing here: http://harpguitars.net/luthiers/shortscale.htm
Old 08-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

I'm still dreaming about trying to make one of these happen. I'd have to approach this as a fun build project and I'd LOWER my expectations. But thinking I might buy a GS mini or something and then copy the measurements on a new build, and add on the bass arm. Thinking also it would be cool to do this in a fanned fret and then just have a continuous angle saddle across a straight bridge covering the whole shebang.

The better builders here are probably shaking their heads...

Well, if its a disaster, it'll be MY disaster!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
Kathy Wingert made a short scale harp guitar. Not quite the same but same idea.

http://www.harpguitarmusic.com/listings/hg-wingert.htm
I was able to play one of Kathy's mini-harp guitars and they are very impressive in terms of both tone and design. Lovely instruments. I also really liked Mike Doolin's work - both guitars and harp guitars.

It sounds like the info might be there in terms of picking a few brains and then giving it a go. Good luck.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar