The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-04-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I agree with Kramster. I'm thinking the original CA Blade prototype that they put up for sale at one time...

Even more rare is the "pro" version they apparently released in very limited quantities.
Those Rainsong Jazz boxes would probably be a close second.

JR
Did you play a Blade? I liked it.... and never got see a Jazz Box....
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
Kramster - what's the nut width on the CA 12-string?
I am unaware of said measurement.. sorry

Just found this on Reverb an old listing and was sold...

"For sale is a beautiful Composite Acoustics carbon fiber 12 string sunburst with off set sound hole. These are extremely rare and currently list close to $3800.00 new!

An ideal stage instrument, it's built like a tank and impervious to the elements. The guitar is in really great condition the only noticeable issue is a finish crack where the neck meets the body (see pics) but this is apparently quite common in this model as there is no heel. I have been assured it's only in the finish and this does not have any affect on the sound. Neck is straight as an arrow. Super clean, fast neck, low action and big boomy sound. A wonderful strummer! 1-3/4" nut width, 4-1/2" body depth and 16" lower bout width. Comes equipped with LR Baggs Element electronics and the original CA embossed thermoplastic TKL case...a little banged up but still working condition."
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 12-04-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:43 AM

The lack of an association with a major star does not help CF here. Many collectables come from that association. Why is a 60’s Gibson J-160e collectable? Allistair was kind enough to sign my Doubleneck and write serial number 001, which means a lot to me but I doubt in 50 years it will even be noticed by a buyer? The market share of CF guitar is still so small, you need a larger public awareness to be collectable?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 12-05-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
The lack of an association with a major star does not help CF here. Many collectables come from that association. Why is a 60’s Gibson J-160e collectable? Allistair was kind enough to sign my Doubleneck and write serial number 001, which means a lot to me but I doubt in 50 years it will even be noticed by a buyer? The market share of CF guitar is still so small, you need a larger public awareness to be collectable?
Public awareness of carbon fiber guitars is increasing. That could play into the current CF guitars being more "collectable" in the future.

I know the AGF has a good share of collectors, but it seems that much of this sub-forum is populated with players. Looking at the guitars I've owned over the years, it is clear that I'm about the playing... and I am SO enjoying the sound and playability of my CF guitars.

It's only in the last 5 or 6 years that I've put aesthetics (looks and comfort) firmly into my guitar selection process. I started that by getting a couple smaller body guitars (a RainSong Shorty limited edition and a Taylor 522ce 12-fret), but really discovered what a different playing experience it is with the truly ergonomic design in my Emeralds. I don't think I'm alone with this consideration and expect that future guitar designs will be more than tone-woods and body sizes - note that the lesser expensive Taylor Academy Series all have a built-in arm rest bevel.

Collectable? Statistically, I won't be around to find out, but it is sure nice to be able to enjoy these instruments now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber