The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-22-2017, 02:18 PM

Default Belated NGD: Emerald X7 Review

Ok, I've had the guitar for a couple of months now and feel like I have something to say.

Factory Setup/build quality:
Setup was fantastic for a straight from the factory instrument. 5/64ths from the low E on the to the 12th fret, and 1/16" for the high e; just what I asked for. The nut was cut well, and required no modification by my guitar tech when he did a set up yesterday. He was also impressed with the build quality, and remarked that the fret work was about as good as he's seen in his 35 years of doing setups on new guitars. He noted that the neck was very stable after installing heavier strings with plenty of adjustment left in both directions. He seemed quite impressed.

Strings:
The red X7 Artisan came fitted with either D'Addario EJ13, or EJ11 strings. While the guitar had a big sound compared to other travel-size guitars I've played, it sounded overly bright, or brash with the 80/20s, and lacked a solid bottom end. While better than I expected, generally, it lacked the deep resonance I get from my Grand Concert, 0M and Jumbo sized wooden guitars.

I played the original strings for a few weeks before switching to Martin SPs. The Martin SP 12-54 phosphor bronze strings were an improvement. They beefed up the mid-range, and warmed the tone a bit, but the bottom end remained a bit flubby. So I had the tech install a set of D'Addario EJ19 Bluegrass strings.

Huge improvement!

With the heavier lower strings the guitar really blooms. The bottom end is more pronounced, and mid-range is much more present. IMO it's a better, more balanced tone.

Purchase experience:
Emerald were a pleasure to deal with. Sean, and Alistair were helpful, responsive, and reassuring throughout the process and had the guitar to me several weeks earlier than promised. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another from them should I feel the need for another CF guitar.

Playability:
Like others have said, the guitar is comfortable for finger-style and is a quite capable strummer. The wider nut and 2 1/4" string spacing at the bridge make it easier for fretting individual strings.

Negatives:
I noticed is a tendency for neck dive. Could be the neck and head-stock are too heavy, or the body is a bit too light. Either way, I find myself supporting the neck while playing more than with my other guitars.

I'm also not as keen on the the neck shape and size. Personally, I prefer more of a 'C' profile. I'd call the X7 neck more of a 'D'. It also provides a wider fretboard than necessary, most especially where the neck joins the body. For me, a slightly narrower fretboard would improve playability at the upper frets.

Summary:
I purchased the X7 to travel with, and to take on my pontoon boat as I putz around the lake I live on. I wanted a smaller bodied guitar that would be resistant to damage and impervious to weather, and water. The X7 fills that niche nicely. As previously stated, it won't be replacing my other, larger bodied wooden guitars, but it sounds pretty sweet for what it is.

finally, I would suggest Emerald ship these guitars with the EJ19 strings, or at least a medium weight phosphor bronze set. The improvement is pretty dramatic.

-Allan
Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
Finally, I would suggest Emerald ship these guitars with the EJ19 strings, or at least a medium weight phosphor bronze set. The improvement is pretty dramatic.

-Allan
I agree totally. FYI - I found that light strings were too ‘floppy’ and also tended to rattle against the fretboard. I have been using either medium or heavy PB strings on my X7 woody, and it’s played and sounded so much fuller and richer.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:13 AM

You made a wise choice selecting the Emerald X7.
It's a great little guitar and so much fun to play.

It's interest what folks like in the strings they use.
I don't play out so I don't need volume and don't play loud at home.
I pick and strum with heavy picks, 1.00mm and thicker
There are two strings sets I like to use:
1. Galli Jazz Flats AJF1047 Bronze Extra Lights (010 - 047) or
2. D'Addario Chromes ECG23 Extra Light (010-048) Flat wound.

I like the Galli a little better than the D'Addario and are presently using the Galli AJF1047 on my X7 and X20.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Nice review on your new X7! Congrats! I find mine is just a delight to play, comfortable to hold, and good sound. I have not experienced the neck dive - I do use a strap, even when sitting. The straps I prefer have a soft leather on the inside, so they tend to stay put.

I'll have to try a set of mediums on my next string change.

Enjoy!
Old 11-26-2017, 07:18 AM

Congratulations on your new X7!
Old 04-28-2020, 12:26 PM

Default Belated NGD: Emerald X7 Review

Resurrecting this thread to update with a new recommendation for strings for this original version X7.

One of the criticisms I had of this guitar was that it sounded overly bright and a little boxy as small body guitars frequently sound. That improved when I switched to the Daddario Bluegrass strings. Even so, the guitar still had an overly bright tone.

On the last string change that I did, I put a set of Martin Monel Lawrence Juber medium lights on it. They are somewhat heavier gauge than the bluegrass strings but the nickel really darkens and mellows the tone over the phosphor bronze. They also feel slinkierEven though they’re heavier gauge.

Here’s a clip I put up on YouTube the other day. I’m playing the X7 with the Martin Monel Lawrence Juber strings. It’s a mixture of flat pick and strumming. The guitar is recorded with an AKG Perceptron 420 condenser mic and a little of the on-board LR Baggs Element into a Schertler Jam-150 amp, then RCA our to a Sony a7 camera.

https://youtu.be/Xk-l5V18x6o
Old 04-28-2020, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the string info and video!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-28-2020, 01:20 PM

Thanks for bringing this thread back...since I just ordered a X7 (probably 4 months out, at this point). I was wondering about players' experience with strings and would be interested in other comments. I use D'Ad nickel bronze 12/53 on my Cargo these days but am always interested in other options.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
Thanks for bringing this thread back...since I just ordered a X7 (probably 4 months out, at this point). I was wondering about players' experience with strings and would be interested in other comments. I use D'Ad nickel bronze 12/53 on my Cargo these days but am always interested in other options.

You are welcome Jim. Bear in mind that your X7 will be a little different than the original version of that model. Mine is a thinner body and joins the neck at the 14th fret. Yours will Have a body that is somewhat deeper and will join the neck at the 12th fret. I’m guessing it will have a fuller, deeper tone and less neck dive than my earlier model.
But if you find that your X7 seems a little brighter than you like with the strings that came with it, or if the bass seems a little flubby, try a heavier gauge pure nickel like these.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
Negatives:
I noticed is a tendency for neck dive. Could be the neck and head-stock are too heavy, or the body is a bit too light. Either way, I find myself supporting the neck while playing more than with my other guitars.
Interesting. Do you play with the guitar on your right knee or in-between your legs (classical style)?

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 04-28-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Interesting. Do you play with the guitar on your right knee or in-between your legs (classical style)?

Right knee
Old 04-29-2020, 07:19 PM

Blunote, thanks for an excellent review. I especially appreciate your thinking and experiences on string change and its impact on tone. Super helpful! Will inspire me to take a harder look at optimizing string choices for my X7s.

Great job!
Old 04-29-2020, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I recently sold an X7. I had a 2017 model for a while and then a new model for about a year and a half. I decided to move on from the small size, very short scale, and carbon fiber generally, but I always loved the way the guitar sounded, particularly the larger, later model. I tried a LOT of strings on it and the two that I ended up liking the most were Martin Retros and DR Sunbeams. And while I prefer the Monels to Sunbeams on the wooden guitars I’ve played them both in, i LOVED the Sunbeams on the X7. I felt like the guitar came alive with those strings. So, if folks are trying strings, they’re at least worth checking out...

-Ray
Old 04-30-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I recently sold an X7. I had a 2017 model for a while and then a new model for about a year and a half. I decided to move on from the small size, very short scale, and carbon fiber generally, but I always loved the way the guitar sounded, particularly the larger, later model. I tried a LOT of strings on it and the two that I ended up liking the most were Martin Retros and DR Sunbeams. And while I prefer the Monels to Sunbeams on the wooden guitars I’ve played them both in, i LOVED the Sunbeams on the X7. I felt like the guitar came alive with those strings. So, if folks are trying strings, they’re at least worth checking out...

-Ray
Hey Ray as far as the DR Sunbeams on your x7 did you use lights or mediums?
Old 04-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP850 View Post
Hey Ray as far as the DR Sunbeams on your x7 did you use lights or mediums?
I started with lights and loved them. But I figured on such a short scaled guitar, I'd like mediums even more. So I tried mediums. HATED them! I'm not sure why - they played great. But somehow the sound just wasn't there like it was with the lights. I have NO IDEA why. I was pretty shocked. I kept them on a little while just to see if maybe they needed a bit of time to break in. But I never liked them any better. Then I put another set of lights on and was back in love with them. A 24" scale guitar seems like its just begging for mediums, but it wasn't.

I also liked Monels on it and I tried every variety, lights, mediums, Tony Rice, LJ specials. There I didn't find any real difference in the sound, so it would just kind of come down to which set you preferred the feel of. I thought I'd like the mediums more and I liked them about as much. Maybe a bit more bass but not that different really.

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber