The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM

Question Nickel allergy - strings ?

I will try to narrow the questions I raised in an earlier post - - I have played acoustics for years, but I'm getting a thin bodied guitar with both humbucker & piezo pickups ( Godin A6). I think it comes with " electric" strings.
I do not want to play with nickel strings because of an allergy - cheap watch bands or jewelery that contains much nickel causes my skin to get all scabby & nasty looking over time, & I don't want to get that started on my fingertips. I tend to become more sensitive with prolonged exposure.
Stainless will work for me - I can wear stainless watches - but I'm confused about the sound & playability of the various stainless strings. What are the differences between flat wound, round wound, half round, etc. - I'd like something with a warmer sound, not too " jangley", but I like the idea of ease of fretting & playability of thinner electric strings. I play a little finger style, getting into blues, and would like to do some finger style jazz classics at some point.
Also for anyone who has a nickel allergy, would coated strings be an option?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 PM

I've been using Fender 350R stainless steel strings for years. You should have no problem getting warm sounds with them.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:14 AM

Interestingly, even if the wound strings are nickel-free, the unwound strings are likely made of a different alloy; the problem would be more apparent as the strings age and the coating comes off. Stainless steel may be better, but remember that some stainless contains. . . Nickel! I have read elsewhere (do a search on the Gearslutz.com forum) that Ernie Ball Stainless Steel strings are nickel free.

On my acoustics, the frets have created a far bigger problem than the strings for my nickel allergy. (I suspect because the fretting pressure on an acoustic is generally higher and the chances of embedding particles/dust higher - also, the nickel content of strings is probably in the 7% range as opposed to frets which are often 17-20% nickel). That issue can only be solved by re-fretting or playing with gloves.

Nickel allergy from musical instruments can be very hard to diagnose. We often equate sore and reddened fingertips with hard sessions when in fact it may be a manifestation of the allergy. As noted, frets often contain 17-20% nickel, depending on the guitar. Plus, playing style, set-up, etc. all affect how much pressure your fingers use and hence, how much nickel you'll be exposed to. It's not a bad idea to wash your hands with a high-glycerine soap (ie. Neutrogena) after playing - also, wipe down the fretboard and strings.

One other item about nickel allergy - in my case, the reaction is delayed. It takes 36-48 hours to occur. Then, my fingers swell slightly and the effect over the next five days is something like a hot dog breaking through its casing. During a full blown episode, it can take three weeks to settle down.

Needless to say, I've had my guitars all re-fretted with Jescar EVO frets ad the problem is gone. PM me for more info.

best,

Rick
Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the response Rick - I have not had any problems with my acoustics from either the frets or the strings ( I've. Used PB and 80-20). I was just wondering about the nickel in electric strings.
I realize that nickel is used in a lot of alloys. I've never had a problem with stainless watches or bands, but any gold less than 24 carat, or metals other than stainless used in watches, bands, buckles, etc. causes a nasty reaction.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:31 AM

I also had a problem when I tried the 'Monel' acoustic strings - so yeah, I would stay away from the nickel strings (unless you really like suffering).
Old 09-14-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Needless to say, I've had my guitars all re-fretted with Jescar EVO frets ad the problem is gone. PM me for more info.
Jescar Evo is great stuff. Lasts much longer than ordinary fretwire but isn't hard on tools like stainless. All guitars should have it as standard.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:30 PM

My opinion (only), but I think strings on acoustics define the sound more so on electrics. (Therefore you won't have to forgo a whole lot of sound quality to find a set of strings which won't give you an allergy).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars