The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-30-2014, 05:16 AM

Default Vintage Archtop Question

I'm interested in a Harmony H-1215 but the ones I see all have some warping on the upper bout near the fretboard in Ebay and only having flat tops, I'm really put off by that.

Any thoughts from experienced archtop users.

I've gone to some guitar shops in NYC but none seems to carry these vintage Harmony models.

THanks!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 AM

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...COUSTIC+GUITAR
Old 04-30-2014, 02:45 PM

I saw those, thanks for your time.

Anything with the kind of warps that I see on those I would not want to buy - my inquiry is as to whether people who play archtops feel the same way.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:53 AM

i don't see anything unusual with the tops in the pictures from bohemian's post. I have worked on quite a few old laminate archtops, (Kay, Harmony, Silvertone, Airline, Tempo and even Epiphone.) They all tend to have some irregularities in them. It is the nature of the pressing process and the type of "laminate" that was used.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 AM

Thanks, dkwvt. I have a bunch of laminate flattops and I guess I am just not used to this.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you do with those since you've worked on them? Adjust the neck to compensate for the warp?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 PM

Sorry for the delay, got busy and didn't see the question. depending on the severity and the value of the guitar I try to keep things to a minimum... The most common problem I have run into is downward deflection of the top from string tension neck compression and glue creep. this is the wave under the fretboard you see in the highlight. It is right on top of the braces and also not unusual under the tailpiece. The simplest solution is adjusting or modifying the bridge. If that doesn't work slipping the heel of the neck under the back and trimming. A neck reset would probably come next, and an extreme would be removing the top, heating and slipping the laminates or retopping. Not recommended and hardly worth it on the lower end pressed tops.

Slipping the heel of the neck is relatively quick and will give you back your string clearance but does not solve the problem visually of the ripple in the top. I was just reselling them back into ebay or occasionally locally, no one seemed to mind and I wasn't trying to get rich, just gain repair experience. The market has changed since then... ;-)
Old 05-05-2014, 04:59 AM

As I look at the pictures again I am wondering... How familiar are you with the shape of an archtop plate? (forgive the rhetorical question ;-)) It is not a smooth radius. It is a graduated s curve all around the body. I'm still not sure what you are seeing as a warp isn't just the highlight from the changing shape of the top.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi I have a Monterey like this one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Vintage...item2339fa3084

The neck is remarkably straight for a '64 guitar - or even a new one !

Keep looking - you'll find one !
Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 PM

Hi dkwvt,

I've been to several guitar shops in NYC that carry them and vintage models so I am a bit familiar with the shape and size of the vintage models, from the high end Gibson L-50 to the auction quality.

It's waves that I am seeing in the models I am looking at, that concerns me.

I think I'll hold out until I see one that doesn't have waves anywhere even if it takes a while.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:03 PM

Oops! This was a duplicate of above.

Last edited by slide496; 05-12-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:58 AM

V.G. Not trying to "challenge" you just asking the dumb question just in case... ;-) Looking is indeed part of the fun, there are better and worse survivors out there. Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Valid point on your part dkwt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops