The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Wagon Wheel

EDIT>>I wasn't happy with either 'take 1' or 'take 2' that I originally posted below. I spent a good chunk of time practicing with a metronome set to 120 (original OCMS tempo) and I tried to incorporate some of the feedback and suggestions provided in the following posts. So here is 'take 3' - do let me know what you think. I promise it will be the last version - at least for a while :-)

Wagon Wheel - take 3

ORIGINAL POST>>I've been working on this for a while now and it's time to share, now that it's too late to enjoy Christmas tunes I loved this upbeat country/pop song from the moment I first heard OCMS perform it.

As always, I'd welcome any and all suggestions on how to improve the performance.

Wagon Wheel - Take 1

I'm not really very happy with this, so I've posted a second attempt:

Wagon Wheel - Take 2
Let me know what you think now....

Steve

Last edited by Mr Fixit eh; 02-04-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 PM

have you tried the strum pattern of DDU-UDU ? Thats how I play it
Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 AM

I think the tempo you are playing is too fast for this tune. You seem to be rushing the lyrics to fit to the tempo.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM

I live and gig in a college town and the most popular watering hole has a sign on the stage that says, "No Wagon Wheel." It's becoming the Brown Eyed Girl of this decade.

Not suggesting it's a bad song or should not be played, just thought it funny that the bar owner had had enough and felt compelled to put up the sign.

Cheers.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 PM
AGF Administrator

Nice job, Steve. I think if you varied your attack a bit more, it could make the performance a little more catchy. What you did briefly around the three minute mark was a nice change in pace.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegraduate View Post
have you tried the strum pattern of DDU-UDU ? Thats how I play it
Hi Battlegraduate,

Thanks for posting. I listened to this clip again, and wasn't happy with the groove. Funny how it can seem right the first time, wishful thinking?

Anyhoo, here's my second version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4gWqKkiyQw

Steve
Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 AM

Enjoyed the song Steve. Those are a lot of words sung quickly. You did a good job my friend.
Ed

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 01-20-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Nice job, Steve. I think if you varied your attack a bit more, it could make the performance a little more catchy. What you did briefly around the three minute mark was a nice change in pace.
+1

Solid performance, Steve.

I was also thinking of some advice to spice up this tune as it's not an easy one to play solo. The melody is pretty repetitive and in full band versions there are many instrumental breaks as well as a gradual build up.

Typically in pop music you would want to have the chorus stand out -- and you would also want the song to eventually climax. This can be done via the intensity of the vocals, the intensity of the strumming, the strumming pattern, the chord location (e.g. higher up the neck or down in open position), the amount of bass support, etc.

To replace the instrumental breaks you can play some flatpicking melodies, add a harmonica to the mix, etc.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley-do-rite View Post
I think the tempo you are playing is too fast for this tune. You seem to be rushing the lyrics to fit to the tempo.
Hi pugsley-do-rite,

You thought that was fast, check out the second version (link at bottom)

This is an interesting observation. It also matches my perception, I feel like I'm really rushed to fit in the vocals, however the tempo seemed to match (more-or-less) the original - in my head - in version 1 (the one you commented on).

So, I went to the YT player to check the elapsed time of each part of the song - intro, verse + chorus I, interlude, verse + chorus II, interlude, verse + chorus III. Extremely interesting stuff. I'm guessing that the YT timer is reasonably reliable for this sort of rough analysis.

OCMS 26 intro + 50 vI/chorus + 13 inter + 51 vII/chorus + 26 inter + 51 vIII/chorus = 217 sec (3:62 min)
My version 1 29 intro + 56 vI/chorus + 18 inter + 56 vII/chorus + 30 inter + 57 vIII/chorus = 246 sec (4:01 min)
My version 2 27 intro + 46vI/chorus +11 inter + 44 vII/chorus + 22 inter + 44 vIII/chorus = 194 sec (3:23 min)

I was very surprised to see that in version one I actually was playing 15 % MORE SLOWLY than the original OCMS track. WHAT!!! I'm trying to figure out why my vocals seem so rushed. I'm wondering if I'm enunciating the words more fully than OCMS?

In my second recording,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4gWqKkiyQw I was trying to get a better groove. Somehow, while doing that, I managed to pick up the tempo by 20% over my version 1. How did I manage that! Growl. At the faster tempo, it's 11% faster than the original, so no wonder version 2 sounds rushed.

Having said all that, thanks very much for listening and commenting, pugsley. It sure got me to thinking.....

Steve

Last edited by Mr Fixit eh; 01-24-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I live and gig in a college town and the most popular watering hole has a sign on the stage that says, "No Wagon Wheel." It's becoming the Brown Eyed Girl of this decade.

Not suggesting it's a bad song or should not be played, just thought it funny that the bar owner had had enough and felt compelled to put up the sign.

Cheers.
Thanks for dropping by, Ruppster. Funny story.

Steve
Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM

I did a bit of a guitar comparison for my buddies and it happened to be the wagon wheel chord progression. It's a bit fast and I'm a beginner (3.5 months) so take it with a grain of salt.

First guitar is a Squier SA100 with 2 month old strings and the second guitar is my new (to me) Guild D125 with brand new strings. Anyway, don't laugh too much...

http://youtu.be/82fb3GIHL8c
Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Thanks, Jeremy. I'm still not happy even after two attempts - I'm going to post another try when I get a few minutes.

It's funny (and ironic) that sometimes the simple songs are hard to perform well.

Steve
Old 02-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
Enjoyed the song Steve. Those are a lot of words sung quickly. You did a good job my friend.
Ed
Thanks, Ed, I appreciate your comments. A tongue-twister, for sure...

Steve
Old 02-02-2014, 02:21 PM

Default Wagon Wheel

Fine job, thanks for posting.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 PM

JD and I are working this song up for our duo, it's a tricky song, the lyrics don't flow so great, you have to learn the phrasing. The harmonies on the refrain are very cool. Love this song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
bob dylan, country, ketch secor, old crow medicine show