The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 AM
mgtaylor

Default Strings--Martin HD-28V

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on strings. I have an HD-28V and I'm ready for my first string change on this guitar. I'm looking for a Martin player that has experimented around. I'm going to stay with mediums as I like the punch, but I'm open to a brand change.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:26 AM

John Pearse! IMHO, the best strings around. I like all the John Pearse strings, but one of my favorites is an all silver set (#2810) that sound incredible on my Martin and Larivee. They look and feel awesome too. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:00 AM

I'm with Sully on this one. I prefer John Pearse.
However, strings is sorta like ice cream.... everybody's got a favorite and different is good. Try several brands and see what you like - but start with some JP's.

Yoda
Old 10-07-2003, 09:37 AM

I believe that Martin recommends their phosphor bronze strings for this dread. If I had one I would try Martin 80/20 mediums. They will be a little brighter than the PBs which may balance out that super bass a little better.

2020 PRS Silver Sky
2016 Suhr Classic Pro
2004 Petros Grand Concert
2001 Taylor 614CE LTD Tobaccoburst
Old 10-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Re: Strings

I have a D-42 which is structurally the same as the HD-28V (forward shifted bracing). I've experimented a good deal and am now fond of DR rares. I do prefer the Phosphor/bronze over the 80/20's on rosewood, but many prefer the opposite.
I did find that lights cut into my callouses and I lost a good deal of volume and some tone. Sometimes I'll try bluegrass sets, which are medium bass and light trebles. I've been content with D'Addario and Martin SPs as well, as long as they are not 80/20.

Grant
Old 10-07-2003, 10:49 AM

Yup, the DR rares are good strings too. To my ear they sound a little more "woody", or organic. Is that too wieird of a description?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:01 AM
mgtaylor

This is enlightening, keep 'em coming. I have messed with Martins, guilds and Dean Markleys both medium and lights on my guild guitar, but none of these others that have been mentioned. It's starting to look like I may spend the next year settling on a string I like!

Thanks
Old 10-07-2003, 11:11 AM

BTW MGTaylor, I'll bet your HD-28V is one heckuva guitar. I've been playing one of these and an HD-35 at a local store, and they are incredible guitars. Beautiful too. Enjoy it!
Old 10-07-2003, 08:28 PM

Before I sold my 00028EC, I really liked Elixir nanos on it due to the inherent darkness of the EC. I use nanos on my Gib, Taylor and my Martin OM-15. Like them on all of my guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification