The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 PM

Default Godin 5th Avenue

I bought a Godin 5th Ave when they first arrived in the UK. A great wee archtop that sounds 'authentic' to my ears?

I want to start using this guitar at gigs, playing Gypsy Jazz, Texas swing and honkytonk.
I need a pick up, that will capture the 'acoustic' sound. I do not want a floating pickup.

I'm using a DTAR Solstice, as a preamp, do any of you fine folks have a similar situation, or can you recommend a suitable P/U ?

Thanks, Ali
Old 05-28-2012, 01:35 PM

You might look into getting a K&K Pure Mini Western, which consists of three flat round transducers. With an archtop you'd want to experiment with their location before gluing them in place, but under or near the bridge is probably the best spot.

whm
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 PM

Good suggestion from Wade. You might also look into the "stick-on" pick-ups from Dean Markley and DiMarzio which work on the same principle as the K&K: soundboard transducers. They are less expensive and made for temporary installation. For gigging you might ultimately want something more permanent, and the K&K will sound better, but these would be an easy way to try the sound of this type of pickup.

There is also Fishman's replacement ebony bridge with piezos built into it. I don't have experience with them, but they are made to give a more acoustic sound than magnetic pickups.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM

I'm using the K&K Trinity in two Guitars at the moment, (both Santa Cruz) feeding thru the Solstice they sound great! I'm just wondering how you would physically stick the transducers to the top. I was told that the better 'quality' the top wood then the better the K&K works? Being simple Cherry on the Godin, I'm wondering how that would sound. I am seeking an acoustic sound rather than a P90!

I have the Fishman on one of my mandolins, and have to use an Aura patch to make it sound good?

I wonder if anyone out there has outfitted a K&K to an archtop? And if so, how long are your fingers?

Ali
Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Bought one when they first came out.. cognac burst. Excellent guitar.
Need to replace the plastic bridge with a proper rosewood bridge from Stew Mac and put on at least .12s if not .13s.

If you don't want to replace the bridge.. at least fit the original., they do NOT fit.. slide a biz card under the edges, you'll see.

Cool guitar, congrats!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 PM

I got an Ebony one from Stew Mac, took a fair bit of sanding to get it right, but that sticky sided sandpaper works wonders! The bit I found difficult was getting the string spacing correct on the new bridge. How did you measure yours?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisterhrae View Post
I'm using the K&K Trinity in two Guitars at the moment, (both Santa Cruz) feeding thru the Solstice they sound great! I'm just wondering how you would physically stick the transducers to the top. I was told that the better 'quality' the top wood then the better the K&K works? Being simple Cherry on the Godin, I'm wondering how that would sound. I am seeking an acoustic sound rather than a P90!
You can use a mastic to temporarily attach this sort of pickup to the top, but for an installation they're commonly glued on. Someone with more experience with K&K please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they recommend using Superglue.

Quote:
I have the Fishman on one of my mandolins, and have to use an Aura patch to make it sound good?
Well, you'll notice I wasn't the one recommending the Fishman bridge - I had a Fishman mandolin bridge pickup briefly on one of my mandolins, and thought it sounded like a demented dental tool!

However, that was some time ago, and perhaps they've gotten better since.

Quote:
I wonder if anyone out there has outfitted a K&K to an archtop? And if so, how long are your fingers?
This is the sort of installation that I would have my repairman do. But prior to gluing the transducers in place I'd want to test them for the best-sounding location.

But after reading your latest questions I thought: "Well, DUH, maybe I ought to look at what K&K has on their website."

Here's a drawing of their acoustic archtop pickup, which (until I looked it up a few minutes ago) I was unaware of:

Here's the link: http://www.kksound.com/purearchtop.html

Here's their 800 number: 1-800-867-6863.

My suggestion is that you call K&K during business hours tomorrow and talk to them. The Godin Fifth Avenue guitars have been a commercial success and are pretty widespread and easily available these days - I'd be very surprised if the K&K folks haven't already talked plenty of folks through the same process.

A number of years ago when I first became aware of K&K there was a woman named Kristy onstaff who was extremely knowledgeable and helpful with all the technical questions I had. It's been a while since I talked to anyone there, but if she's still a K&K employee ask for her.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-28-2012, 03:49 PM

I just noticed you're in the UK, which means that the 800 number may or may not work for you. If it doesn't, here's a number that should: (541) 888-3517

I realize that it might be more of a hassle for you to call from the UK, but what I've often found is that a quick telephone conversation can clear up all sorts of questions far faster than an extenuated email exchange can.

Here's a quote from K&K's "Contact Us" page:

Quote:
Which Pickup for My Instrument? Please check our Find Your Pickup page first. If your instrument is not listed or if you have a more specific question, please contact [email protected]
Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Pick up the world should be on your short list.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the info, I had no idea, that K&K made an archtop p/u, I think that may be my first 'port of call'. I was on their website recently and never noticed this, so many thanks for pointing it out.

The Fishman Mandolin P/U was a horror, way too much uncontrolable bass, using an Aura patch I can make it sound pretty good?

Cheers.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 PM

Default k&k pickup in a 5th ave.

Hello! First time post. I installed k&k's archtop pickup in my godin 5th ave. about a year ago wanting to try to amplify the acoustic sound of the instrument. Installation wasn't too bad, and there is plenty of room to drill the input hole below the tailpiece and still hit the tailblock.

I installed the transducers with the tape not the glue, and this thing puts out a lot of sound. Since it's a passive pickup I've tried using an LR Baggs, and a K&K active preamp, and believe it or not, it sounds best with a passive DI straight to the board.

I am using an ebony bridge from stewmac, and .13's. The pickup does it's job, and I have not had trouble with feedback even on big stages.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification