The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM

Default Experiences with UPS?

Hey -- looking at doing a trade that will involve shipping via UPS and probably using the UPS Packaging Store service where they pack the shipment and thereby guarantee safe arrival.

But I am just seeing all of these horror stories about UPS either inadequately packaging things and then denying responsibility and/or denying insurance claims capriciously.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/delivery/ups_damage.html
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-c...e-what-do.html

http://www.edroman.com/rants/mailboxes_etc.htm

Guess I am looking for experiences of folks here shipping guitars via UPS. I know I have gotten a few deliveries of guitars via UPS over the years, but those were solid bodies. I am kind of being pulled into dealing with UPS because my trading partner is in Canada and UPS has a location in Buffalo, NY that will send the package the rest of the way over the border.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

i've used UPS to ship and receive guitars for well over a decade...i've also used Fedex and USPS...i've probably shipped and received several hundred instruments..i've never had a damaged instrument...occasionally its taken a little longer than expected but hardly ever and only once was it a week delay....i know bad things happen but the overwhelming odds are that they won't..
Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 AM

I've had several guitars purchased online (mostly from MF) arrive via UPS. I've had no problems. Recently purchased a guitar on Ebay that was shipped USPS. It arrived over a week late from it's projected arrival date. And tracking, altho paid for, was non-existent. It took over 2 weeks to travel 1/2 way across the country (Fla. to Okla.). But it arrived OK.
There are horror stories no matter which of the 3 available services you use. (USPS, UPS, FEDEX). IMO I would choose UPS or FEDEX over USPS.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 AM

I've used UPS more times than I can count and I've never had a problem. I've always packed myself though. I don't know anything about how they pack guitars.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:21 AM

I've been shipping guitars and mandolins tans-atlantic with UPS for about five years now. Hundreds of instruments. No problems so far.. but there's no guarantees.. there are horror stories about all shippers.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 AM

The biggest part of it is how it is packed. The other thing that is very important is to let the person shipping it arrange and be "the shipper". What I mean by this is I bought a guitar once and the seller wanted a stupid inflated amount to ship the guitar so I asked him if he would package the guitar and then I would call ups and arrange the shipping and pay ups directly and take him out of the equation. I then became the shipper and receiver. The guitar arrived damaged and I filed a claim with ups and they said there was a problem with how it was packed. Since I was the shipper and receiver I had no one to fall back on. I couldn't refuse shipment or anything. It turned into a real fiasco.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I don't want to get all worried about a low likelihood of damage, but I get concerned when there are complaints about what looks like illusory insurance coverage.

But sometimes my mind runs away with me. So thanks for the reassurance.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMFIST View Post
Thanks for the comments.

I don't want to get all worried about a low likelihood of damage, but I get concerned when there are complaints about what looks like illusory insurance coverage.

But sometimes my mind runs away with me. So thanks for the reassurance.
All of the shippers move millions of parcels a week, and most arrive intact. BUT, they all break things as well; it's an unavoidable risk. So you are definitely focusing properly on your concern.

DO NOT fall for the UPS insurance scam! It is not insurance. It is liability coverage which is completely differnt and a pain in the....well...you get the picture.

Buy insurance through U-pic or something similar. And make certain....ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN.....that you have pictures and documentation to back up a claim if necessary.

I know that from which I speak. Carve out a few minutes and READ HERE.

Odds are that your instrument will arrive just fine. But it pays to be cautious and prepared.

Enjoy that new guitar when it arrives.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 01-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

In my experience, if you pack it yourself, you're going to have a good experience, unless - as already expressed in this thread - something out of the ordinary happens. I've had great UPS experiences with shipping guitars.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 AM

The worst packers are the UPS, FED-EX and the MAIL BOXES ETC and We Be Shippers... clueless.

I have shipped and received instruments with reasonable luck. They are fine when all goes well, but when it doesn't, you are in claim HeXX. USPS is the easiest with whom to deal on a claim.

The system is stacked. They hold all the cards.

I photograph the item from all angles. I photograph every step of the packing. I photograph the package form all angles.

When they decline to pay a claim I go straight to small claims court. Chances are they won't show and must send a non attorney.. It is a nuisance for them to go.

Also when you ship.. don't use the box stores.. go directly to the distribution center. One trick I learned... they all have the right to inspect the packaging.. if they don't they gave up their right to inspect for proper packaging. No argument at that point. They failed their own procedures.

I firmly belive that the majority of the shippers net profit comes from "insurance" fees. Most packages arrive safely and those that don't are either not claimed or the claim is not paid. It's a racket.

Fed-Ex is flaky, independent delivery persons. USPS has no tracking.. it either got there or it did not.. that is all they can tell you unless...you send
registered in which case at every transfer point it is logged in and secured.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 AM

one very important thing to keep in mind....the UPS store is NOT UPS. When everything is honky dory, they're one big happy family. When there is a problem, you will find out very quickly that UPS will completely wash its hands of the UPS store and you will have to deal with the store that packed it.

There is no real affiliation. If you want proof, try and track your package after dropping it off at the UPS store. You get a tracking number, but you cannot track it through UPS until a UPS driver picks it up from the UPS store. From a chain of custody perspective, that right there tells you they are separate entities.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM

I received my last 3-4 guitars from UPS with no issues.

UPS is a large company with lots of employees. Employees are people, and people aren't perfect.

Fedex is a large company with with lots of employees, etc.

USPS is a large company with...

Repeat the above for all major couriers...
Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Hi HF...
We receive approximately 180 shipments a year, and 4/5 of them come by UPS and the other FedEx (only a couple by USPS).

I've not had issues with any of them.

I've had more issues with poorly packed gear than with shippers ever, and even then, both shippers managed to get things here undamaged.

I also never allow the UPS store to pack my stuff. And I take pictures at every stage of packing when I'm shipping guitars. I go to music stores and get shipping boxes. If I were to ship with a store, I'd be there when they pack it and shoot pictures too.

There is no reason not to document things since even phones have cameras in them these days. Since I've never had a claim, I've not needed them, but if I were shipping something of value tomorrow, I'd shoot pics as I packed it.

When people are shipping several million packages a day, there are bound to be errors since people are involved. But I do what I can do to minimize the problems, and proper packaging is one, and proper labels and internal backup of address info is included in anything that we send.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. No shipper has a perfect record. Best you can do is to protect yourself by either packing the guitar as best you can, if you're the seller, or making sure the guy/company you're buying from does the same.

Haven't had any problems with UPS, although the guitars I've bought were shipped by people who took care to pack them properly.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 AM

FedEx: doesn't pay for damage to musical instruments, even if insured.

UPS: Will pay for insured instruments provided you prove proper packaging. My online UPS account requires that I take anything valued @ $1000.00 or more to UPS so they can inspect & sign off on the integrity of the packaging. I never use a UPS Store to pack or ship anything of value but go directly to a UPS shipping center.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
damage, shipping, ups