The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 AM

So how many builders would be willing to take on that project?

And how many of could actually pull it off stylishly and make it look like something other than a freak?

Kudos.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
When I quoted the commission, I told the client that the case would be additional but that I would not mark it up. Sadly, he decided that, after paying for the guitar, he didn't have enough money for a case. I about went through the roof. He spent this much money on a guitar and he can't spring for $300 for a case? So he's carrying it around in a gigbag that was made for some sort of keyboard I think. It actually fits pretty well but it's still a gigbag. Ridiculous.
That is a moron if I ever saw one. Very impressive Paul you were able to pull that off. Talk about separating the men from the boys!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 PM

I now understand the term "Soundcraft" in Pauls name.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Paul, the more i look at the photos the more i notice. This guitar is very impressive. I know you are a luthier but your choices, execution and style remind me of some of the best engineers i have had the pleasure to work with. Very nicely done.

Ken
Old 08-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks again for all the kind comments, the "humble Paul" is blushing a bit.

@ Coke Zero: Yes, but not anytime soon. The client is in the middle of a major move. But when he gets me some samples, as promised, I'll be sure to post them.
@ Bill Pillmore: I'm just finishing a new neck build just like yours. For some reason it was much harder than yours was. But it is all turning out very nicely.
@kirkham13: You know, I half thought about just buying him the case and being done with it. Mostly because when (not "if" but "when") he breaks it, I know he's going to be coming to me to fix the darn thing.
@ Brent Hutto: You know, I actually look forward to those kinds of projects. They keep things interesting and fresh for me. There are builders out there that build the same D-18 copies, guitar after guitar after guitar. And I honestly don't know how they do it. I'd go nuts.
@Masao: I wish I still had it to photograph, but I had this big piece of posterboard with little sketches on it. But what made it impressive looking was the math all over it. Trig, geometry, etc. It was crazy. Looked like something that would be in DiVinci's studio. My wife makes fun of me. Rather than sitting down and watching a movie, I sit down with calculator, rules and big paper and "plan".
Thanks again to everyone for the very kind comments. This was a fun one for me to work on and I glad to see that it's being at least somewhat favorably received by the public.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Nifty axe there Paul! How the heck ya been? Give me a shout sometime.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Nifty axe there Paul! How the heck ya been? Give me a shout sometime.
Thanks John, I'll have to give you a ring soon. I get news from TF about you and the fam from time to time.

I forgot to mention in my original post that is is a double top, double back, and double sided guitar. Double, double, double.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Geez Paul. How cool is that? Had I known you were cooking that one up I'd have slid on over to visit your shop.

Really amazing work.....
Brent
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM

Paul - This really is an awesome instrument. From an engineering perspective what planning do you have to do to accommodate the additional tension on the top? In terms of bracing patterns, etc? Are these kind of adjustments done just by gut feel or is there some calculation involved?
2008 ARK Cutaway
Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
Thanks John, I'll have to give you a ring soon. I get news from TF about you and the fam from time to time.

I forgot to mention in my original post that is is a double top, double back, and double sided guitar. Double, double, double.
Sounds like something I would order from In-N-Out burger! Only difference is, you only need a simple math to do that order right. Very nice guitar Paul, I'm sure you earned a couple of more fans here in AGF with that guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop