The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old Today, 08:42 AM

Default Quality made

Master lock thread got me thinking about quality products and accidental real life testing.
Several years ago my father gave me a pair if Leupold binoculars as a gift for one of our last elk hunts together. Hunt went great but after being back a few days I realized i couldn’t find my binoculars. I searched through every possible spot, no luck.
Well my dad passed a few years after that and I was at my parents place helping mom sort through things. On one of my trips out to the trick with a load I dropped something in a old juniper bush. When I went back to get it I had a real surprise. My binoculars were inside the bush and had been there for about 3 years, through 3 seasons of heat, rain and snow. I was happy to find them but didn’t hold out much hope for use. Too my surprise they were still perfectly clear and worked great.
I still use them to this day and plan on passing them to one of my boys when that time comes. All I can say is, great quality product and Oregon company to boot.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."

Last edited by 6stringpickin; Today at 08:52 AM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old Today, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Many years ago when the Dutch Elm blight was rampant in the the Chicago suburb I called home back then, I took a summer job with the city cutting diseased trees down, and one day, after felling a good sized Elm, I sat down on the fresh stump to take a cigarette break. Left my Zippo lighter and remaining smokes on that stump as I started work on the next tree. It was a relatively small one, but when it let go, it went sideways unexpectedly. I never was very good with a chainsaw. Anyway, when the dust settled, I discovered that 15' tree had landed directly on my lighter flattening it significantly. None the less, when it came to light up another fag, the darned lighter worked. It was pretty hard to get the flint wheel to turn and the lid wouldn't close completely, but it was still capable of producing a reliable flame.

I wrote to Zippo, explaining how the lighter had been partially crushed under a tree. Darned it they didn't send a replacement to me at no charge.
Old Today, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow View Post
Many years ago when the Dutch Elm blight was rampant in the the Chicago suburb I called home back then, I took a summer job with the city cutting diseased trees down, and one day, after felling a good sized Elm, I sat down on the fresh stump to take a cigarette break. Left my Zippo lighter and remaining smokes on that stump as I started work on the next tree. It was a relatively small one, but when it let go, it went sideways unexpectedly. I never was very good with a chainsaw. Anyway, when the dust settled, I discovered that 15' tree had landed directly on my lighter flattening it significantly. None the less, when it came to light up another fag, the darned lighter worked. It was pretty hard to get the flint wheel to turn and the lid wouldn't close completely, but it was still capable of producing a reliable flame.

I wrote to Zippo, explaining how the lighter had been partially crushed under a tree. Darned it they didn't send a replacement to me at no charge.
Great story amazing what some things can withstand and continue to function usefully

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old Today, 01:18 PM

I bought an office building about 20 yrs ago. In the basement the previous owners had left an old freezer. The thing had to be close to 50 yrs old. I plugged it in and the darn thing still worked. Made to last.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic