The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-07-2021, 10:21 PM

Default AER compact 60 with a drummer?

Hi yÂ’all, IÂ’m interested in buying an acoustic amp that can act as something of a catch-all for the following situations:

1) Solo and vocal acoustic performances when there isnÂ’t a PA available for some reason.

2) Band rehearsals. IÂ’ve been playing with a few folks recently. The stage volume is pretty low (music is indie/folk/country). If it helps at all as a frame of reference my Princeton Reverb has been plenty of amp for me on the electric side of things.

3) Small band shows where there isnÂ’t a PA (say, at a house or whatever).

4) I think IÂ’ll likely use it at home to rehearse especially when I first get it just to get a feel for it but obviously not a high level of volume needed for that.

The AER Compact 60 has caught my eye as IÂ’ve been researching but I donÂ’t have any frame of reference as to whether it will be loud enough for what I need (IÂ’m not new to electric guitar amps, but acoustic amplification is unfamiliar to me).

Thank you in advance!
Old 11-08-2021, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I have an AER Compact 60/2 that I picked up lightly used about 7 years ago... they are GREAT little amps that produce really good sound and get FAR louder than one would expect a 60 solid-state watt unit to put out... and only one 8" speaker!!!

I used it in fairly big rooms with acoustic guitar and voice, playing plenty loud... and never had the master volume up past 12 o'clock...

...and it weighs about 13#'s!!!

It'll do all the functions that you mentioned, easily. I do use a small Bose mixer when I gig with it, to make switching between 6 and 12 string easier/less time consuming than switching out a cord. Only 2 inputs, and mine has minimal effects choices (but what it has is extremely musical and usable!).

I also have the little "tilt back" wedge that AER sells, and I would recommend that; I've found that the amp produces nicer bass when on the floor, and that wedge tilts it up just enough for the sound to spread and bloom through the room.

You will find that placement is key to being able to play it at higher volumes; if you're standing right next to it and crank it up, you WILL get feedback, no doubt. I try to have mine away from me (10-15' is good), and angled towards the audience with my position being "just in the cone" of dispersion. Playing loudly, it's still a bit touchy, but absolutely doable.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-09-2021, 01:13 PM

My experience is the same as jseth’s. I have a Compact 60/4 and find it an exceptional piece of kit. Super pro-level. I gig 4-5 times a week on average and haven’t played a show without it since I bought it. I have an Alpha Plus too, which I picked up secondhand for very little money, as a backup. The C60/4 is the one that always gets picked first though as it’s a terrific all-rounder.

It does divide opinion as a vocal amp but for my voice (light tenor singing a mixture of singer/songwriter, blues, folk and rock) it is absolutely wonderful to sing through. I use an AKG D7 and just LOVE singing through it.

As jseth said, they are loud and project fantastically. I, too, have never ventured north of midday on the master volume and have played some big rooms with it as the sole source of sound reinforcement. It works beautifully as a guitar monitor for gigs with a house system too. I love working that way with it, placed as a side fill with some foldback through a wedge too for vocals and a touch more guitar. Like being surrounded by a magical cocoon of sound.

I’d recommend AER without hesitation. All of their stuff is superb and the Compact 60 is a modern classic. It will do what you need and please you whilst doing so…then you can pop it in its carry bag, sling it over your shoulder and walk home with it! Win/win.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:53 PM

I have a Compact 60/3 and it is a great amp. It can cover any medium venue and for what you are doing it sounds like more than enough. The sound blooms as you move away from the amp which gives it great coverage. I can get a fairly credible electric tone from it as well, especially clean tones from a hollow body or tele.
Great amp - no downsides from my experience, except a bit pricey but worth it.
Davidc
Old 11-09-2021, 10:16 PM

Thank you all for your responses, it’s very helpful!
Old 11-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

In that price range, you might look into an EV Evolve 30. More channels, much better for vocals, has plenty of power, and has a fairly small footprint.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:03 PM

It's very loud. I have played it for 300+ people outside.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification