The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-04-2010, 12:16 AM

Default Sittin' On Top Of The World - Doc Watson

Anybody wanna learn this?
Old 09-04-2010, 04:47 AM

Default heck yeah

For sure I would like to learn this ! What have you got planned ?

the view from down at the crossroads.

a couple of guitars, a mandolin,bongo drums, some harps, a recorder, train whistle and a kazoo....
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 AM

I have been playing this and other Doc Watson music for many years. This is probably my favourite.

I use Tuxguitar (open source) for TABs and can sit down and tab it, which is something I enjoy doing, then answer any questions, post pics or even video if needed.

This song is played in open D, which makes for a very free feeling sound and technically its not as difficult as you may imagine.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 AM

that would be great

the view from down at the crossroads.

a couple of guitars, a mandolin,bongo drums, some harps, a recorder, train whistle and a kazoo....
Old 09-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Sounds interesting.

Bill
Old 09-04-2010, 10:39 PM

I have a good start on it, today I managed to tab the intro, first verse and part of the second verse. Should be all done some time during the week.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM

This is one of the first blues tunes I worked through, granted it was a stripped down version. Great song by the Miss. Sheiks.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RythymNBlues View Post
This is one of the first blues tunes I worked through, granted it was a stripped down version. Great song by the Miss. Sheiks.
I think you will enjoy this version as it is by no means "stripped down". Granted, it will be transcribed as I play it. I have been playing it for years and rarely play it the same way twice, so it is not a "note for note" transcription of any of Doc's recordings. I did however learn it from Doc's playing, so there are a lot of licks that will be familiar, similar etc. It really is one of those tunes that, once you get comfortanble with it, you can vamp a lot and I would encourage anybody to find their own groove in playing it. Funny thing that, because as I transcribe it, I have to sit down and think and take notice of what I am actually playing, because normally there is a lot of it that I do not even think about while playing. I have not heard two of Doc's recordings of it that are the same. Its a lot of fun.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Default Sittin' On Top Of The World

Count me in, though in addition to the tab I may need the video. Can't wait to see either or both.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Ok, TABs are ready. I have saved these is Tuxguitar format, plus Guitar Pro versions 3 to 5. See down the bottom of this post for links.

I have transcribed the intro, two solos and four verses. Sometimes I play another two verses. Guitar is tuned to open D

Technically this is not that difficult a song, but sounds fantastic. I have only marked two chord positions, a two finger 1st position A chord and a 5th fret barre G chord. The rest is just free fingering taking advantage of the open tuning.

I recommend that you listen to it and sing along with it until its comfortably in your mind, then work right through its slowly to get familiar with how it progresses. There is nothing worse than getting great at one section and being lousy on the rest, so be patient and just keep working through it, spending a bit of time if some part you find particularly difficult.

If you have a question about a particular section, please mention the bar numbers which you can see on the TABs.

Most of the song has a triplet feel, except at the beginning of the second verse and a big chunk of the second solo which are straight 4/4 time. You will notice for the solo I upped the tempo just a little. Its difficult to get it sounding right on a piece of software (robot), however you should pick this up naturally when you play it, just a little faster so it doesn't drag.

You will notice that at the end of some of the sections there are four open strings played at once. I play these by striking downward across the strings with the top of my nails.

I haven't figured how to do decent sounding slides on Tuxguitar. All the slides, only the first note is plucked.

Enjoy

TuxGuitar Format
Guitar Pro 3
Guitar Pro 4
Guitar Pro 5
Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Good job on the tab. It would be helpful though to indicate the tuning at the top of the score, ie "Open D: DADF#AD"

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Good job on the tab. It would be helpful though to indicate the tuning at the top of the score, ie "Open D: DADF#AD"
I use Tuxguitar - with it you just double click on the instrument down the bottom and it gives the tuning. Thats the normal place to put it.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backslider View Post
Funny thing that, because as I transcribe it, I have to sit down and think and take notice of what I am actually playing...
Reminds me of Doc Watson in one of his instructional videos commenting when pressed to show a lick note-for-note - "This is like trying to fall off a log slow."

George
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM

I have been playing the Mississippi Shieks version for as long as I can recall. Think I will just stick with it - it is like an old friend.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I have been playing the Mississippi Shieks version for as long as I can recall. Think I will just stick with it - it is like an old friend.
Nothing like a good friend

That's an old blues stomp version huh? Trying to find a clean recording for a decent listen.

I wouldn't mind sitting down some time to put together a delta slide version

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write