The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Default Probably a Dumb Question

With the widespread access to CNC machining, what would happen if you produced a top with the bracing machined in versus glued in later? Understand you would have to start with a thick slab but would the result be different than glued in?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:15 PM

I believe that's how Cole Clark tops (or at least some of them) are made.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Separate braces ( glued in ) would have their grain running the length of the brace.
If the braces were part of the top wood then the grain would run across them, seems to me that would be weaker in terms of actual 'bracing'.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 PM

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/imag.../AngelBig1.jpg

Here's the reverse face of a Cole Clark Angel. There doesn't appear to be a centre seam nor for that matter is the grain pattern symmetrical. I can only assume it's all one piece of wood. (Actually it looks more like a FL/dread than an angel, I dunno.)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblue View Post
http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/imag.../AngelBig1.jpg

Here's the reverse face of a Cole Clark Angel. There doesn't appear to be a centre seam nor for that matter is the grain pattern symmetrical. I can only assume it's all one piece of wood. (Actually it looks more like a FL/dread than an angel, I dunno.)
No way is that one piece of wood, or even two bookmatched pieces joined together.

You can see where the braces are inset into the "neck block", for starters.

It may well be that the braces are glued on well oversized and the top subsequently machined by CNC.

Doing it out of one solid spruce block would be incredibly wasteful, ( and uneconomical IMO )
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM

i have played a bunch of cole clarks and to me they sound good, -different, but good imo. i can see a rather coarse stepover in the pocket regions -that's what makes the scallops or cusps in the flat areas in between the "braces". i guess it works for them as they are still in business. i see no inserted braces. look closely as the shadows are tricky -they got me for a minute.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
No way is that one piece of wood, or even two bookmatched pieces joined together.

You can see where the braces are inset into the "neck block", for starters.

It may well be that the braces are glued on well oversized and the top subsequently machined by CNC.

Doing it out of one solid spruce block would be incredibly wasteful, ( and uneconomical IMO )
Well my eyes are telling me that the grain passing through those braces is in line with the grain on the soundboard. In terms of the seam or lack of I was looking for spots or blemishes on one side being reflected on the other & could see none. At any rate I was merely speculating or assuming & not making any definitive statement about it's construction one way or the other..
Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=szDQUWgmfyA#!

f/fwd to about 3:50. It seems they are bracing channels or rebates with the braces inserted later.

Last edited by saxonblue; 10-11-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM

oh.. ok, i get it. that's pretty cool. i like how cole clark uses native australian wood for a good portion of their guitars too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair