The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-05-2021, 11:09 PM

Default Guitar Pick story #78: Campfire guitar to the rescue

So we went to see 7 of the 21 grandkids for the holidays. My daughter and her 4 kids came back home with us so she could see a childhood friend who is now a missionary nurse home on furlough. With all the kids in the van I had to leave my Tacoma Orpheum behind in Little Rock.
So what about the campfire banger? Hold on .. I am getting there.
Half way back we get a call from the lady who lives in our basement apartment...she has Covid! Fortunately, we are blessed to have friends who are wintering in FL, who have loaned us their house for a week.
So stuck at a friends house with no guitar. What to do? We needed several things from our house, so I popped on a trusty N95, and quickly went through our upstairs. I grabbed what we needed, and there was the old Harmony Broadway on a stand next to the piano. I did not have to take an extra trip to grab a Better guitar and case. It was right there for the emergency, tuner clipped to the head stock.
So the old Broadway and I are Getting reacquainted. It has its own special sound in a bluesy, plywood kind of way. Last night as I was playing it I thought maybe I did not need my Taylor or my old classical.....nah! But it is much appreciated in this inconvenient time.IMG_6144.jpg

Last edited by whvick; 01-05-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:35 PM

Ok. We just got word that we may have to stay out of our house for an extra week.
Should I get more guitars?
Variety is the spice of life.
What about you guys?
Has Covid or other such stuff separated you from you six string friends for a time.
Again I am so blessed to have a place to stay.
Remember we cannot turn this into a political debate about the situation. I am more interested, in stories like mine, where you are separated from your guitars. Or even jamming partners. And how you worked around it.

Regards
Whvick
Old 01-06-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Hey Whvick,
I’m glad y’all have a safe and healthy place to stay. Sorry for the inconvenience. Stay healthy my friend.

I’ve been separated -because of our present situation -from two in person instructors and my three brothers with whom I could occasionally play. I’m hopeful this coming year will see some improvement in this circumstance.

I almost always travel ( even short distances for short periods of time) with one of my carbon fiber options just in case I have some time to play or practice. I haven’t been in a position where I couldn’t access an instrument.

I hope the lady in the basement does well and has no long lasting effects.
Y’all travel safe.
Best,
Tom
Old 01-11-2021, 08:39 PM

So I was positive for Covid on Sunday. I am doing well at present and the body ache is not keeping me from playing. Good chance to practice. I am old, fat and have high blood pressure. They tell me it often worsens about day 7. Would appreciate prayers from those inclined to do so. I will keep you posted. Thanks guys
Old 01-11-2021, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
So I was positive for Covid on Sunday. I am doing well at present and the body ache is not keeping me from playing. Good chance to practice. I am old, fat and have high blood pressure. They tell me it often worsens about day 7. Would appreciate prayers from those inclined to do so. I will keep you posted. Thanks guys
Oh man. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hey Whvick,
I’m sorry you are ill. Prayers for a quick and complete recovery.
Sincerely,
Tom

Last edited by TRose; 01-15-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:43 PM

Please keep us updated, and keep your spirits up!
Old 01-11-2021, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear this.
Please rest and follow doctors orders. Keep us posted on your progress. In the meantime, prayers headed your way.

~ ~ Martin
Old 01-12-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Hey whvick,

Hoping your experience is mild and free from any debilitating effects.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-12-2021, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear that, whvick.

Take care of yourself. Most of folks I know who got it were better withing a week or sooner, here's to hoping for the best.

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Old 01-12-2021, 01:46 PM

Good thoughts and prayers for you. Recover well, and live to play again!
Old 01-14-2021, 08:02 PM

Thanks guys
I am day six post first symptoms
I am doing good
Felt good enough to work today, but have to quarantine
Most people don’t get bad after day eight
So keep praying for the old man a little longer.
My wife said to order that Yairi I want. I think I will forget the guitar and focus on getting out of woods and making up for lost work
Old 01-15-2021, 10:26 PM

Glad you are feeling better!

Yeah, take care of what’s important. The guitar will be there when you’re ready for it.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:16 AM

Hi guys
So blessed to be back at work. The mask makes me a little short of breathe, but ok
One of the people in group I think I got it from spent several days in hospital and is still on O2. So I can appreciate how bad it can be and how blessed I am that mine was a mild case.
And yes the old campfire Harmony did help to pass the boredom while stuck at our friend’s house. Can’t say my playing improved, but I did play a little more than usual.
Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers. Hoping to get more guitar pick stories soon. Last couplet were just not exciting enough to post. J
Bill

Last edited by whvick; 01-22-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi guys
So blessed to be back at work. The mask makes me a little short of breathe, but ok
One of the people in group I think I got it from spent several days in hospital and is still on O2. So I can appreciate how bad it can be and how blessed I am that mine was a mild case.
And yes the old campfire Harmony did help to pass the boredom while stuck at our friend’s house. Can’t say my playing improved, but I did play a little more than usual.
Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers. Hoping to get more guitar pick stories soon. Last couplet were just not exciting enough to post. J
Bill

Glad to hear you are on the mend.
Keep it up.
I look forward to future stories.
Best,
Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion