The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Atkin Nineteen?

Curious if anyone has played or owns an Atkin Nineteen. They look super interesting, and YouTube clips sound great (but yeah, YouTube).

How do these compare to the LG47 or the 43? How do they feel/sit in the lap? The body size/proportions look really interesting as they state lower bout is 15" but because the waist is big, it looks like it might have some serious bass to it.

Let me know your thoughts if you have or have played one!
Old 01-31-2024, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Atkin Nineteen?

I have one. I also have a J-43

It is significantly smaller feeling than the J-43. To me, it’s like a 00 version of a J-43 - same comparison from OM to 00 in Martin nomenclature.

I got mine last year as a floor demo. It had EJ 16s on it which are non-coated D’Addario lights. They were worn out. I still have them on it because it completely fits the vintage vibe. The action is lower than I would like, but some of the buzzing coupled with the dead strings, makes it sound like a guitar from the 30s. It really has more vibe and mojo (yes I said the m word) than any new guitar I’ve ever had. It’s an amazing songwriters guitar.

I believe it could be much more vibrant and alive when I change strings, but I just don’t have the gumption to do so. It’s just perfect as is.

It definitely won’t have the low end thump that you would get out of a J-43. It really truly is like a really good banner Gibson J-45 that was shrunk down just a bit.

I can do a video demo this evening after the kids go to bed if you like. I love this guitar, and I think you would like it too
Old 01-31-2024, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Soups
I realize this is asking a lot, but could you compare an contrast the J-43 vs The 19?
Thanks
Old 01-31-2024, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Might as well make it interesting
Old 01-31-2024, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Might as well make it interesting
Thank you!
Old 01-31-2024, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have one. I also have a J-43

It is significantly smaller feeling than the J-43. To me, it’s like a 00 version of a J-43 - same comparison from OM to 00 in Martin nomenclature.

I got mine last year as a floor demo. It had EJ 16s on it which are non-coated D’Addario lights. They were worn out. I still have them on it because it completely fits the vintage vibe. The action is lower than I would like, but some of the buzzing coupled with the dead strings, makes it sound like a guitar from the 30s. It really has more vibe and mojo (yes I said the m word) than any new guitar I’ve ever had. It’s an amazing songwriters guitar.

I believe it could be much more vibrant and alive when I change strings, but I just don’t have the gumption to do so. It’s just perfect as is.

It definitely won’t have the low end thump that you would get out of a J-43. It really truly is like a really good banner Gibson J-45 that was shrunk down just a bit.

I can do a video demo this evening after the kids go to bed if you like. I love this guitar, and I think you would like it too
Ugh. You’re making me do that thing where I’m looking at what gear I could part with.

A video would be amazing.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks soups. I have my heart set on a custom black LG47 with 45mm nut but may be swayed into a 19
Old 02-01-2024, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Old 02-01-2024, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Soups
Thank you. Excellent comparison. The 19 sounds great but The Black Pearl was incredible in drop D. I appreciate the time you took to put this together.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for taking the time out to do this. The Nineteen sounds SO good with those dead strings.

I also appreciate the description of how it sits and feels while playing it. It honestly sounds ideal. I want something that leans J45, without being cumbersome, and I think I might be in trouble.

Your description of sometimes being far out behind a dread is the exact feeling I have when playing bigger guitars.

Thanks again!
Old 02-01-2024, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

No problem. My next question is, are there any out there? There simply aren’t that many nineteens around. If you need to order one, try the acoustic shop in Missouri or Coda Music in England. I’ve sent several people to Coda for Atkins including Tom here in this thread. They’re great to work with and usually ship you a guitar cheaper than the US dealers even after duties. Tell em Chris in milwaukee sent you (Chris and Kelvin are the acoustic guys there)
Old 02-01-2024, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No problem. My next question is, are there any out there? There simply aren’t that many nineteens around. If you need to order one, try the acoustic shop in Missouri or Coda Music in England. I’ve sent several people to Coda for Atkins including Tom here in this thread. They’re great to work with and usually ship you a guitar cheaper than the US dealers even after duties. Tell em Chris in milwaukee sent you (Chris and Kelvin are the acoustic guys there)
I can confirm the Coda Music recommendation. There is a 000-37 in a box at home waiting for my return from a business trip. I did have a little bit of a scare when DHL dropped it off yesterday on my porch with no one home. I had requested 2/5 delivery and someone was suppose to sign for it. All's well that ends well.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:38 PM

That was awesome soups! I'm definitely hankering for a Atkin Nineteen now!
Old 02-01-2024, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys; I'll definitely check out Coda. How long was shipping to your door, and what did your import fees look like?
Old 02-01-2024, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
Thanks guys; I'll definitely check out Coda. How long was shipping to your door, and what did your import fees look like?

I believe it was about 4% of declared value.

Shipping took around a week. Five days to be exact for both guitars I got from them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion