The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2010, 09:31 AM

Default Buying a NEW Gibson SG Standard...online?

I plan on purchasing a new Gibson SG Standard in cherry finish. I have played this guitar at GC a number of times, debated between the SG Standard, the SG Special, the SG Special Faded, and the SG Standard w/Coil Tap.

THIS is the guitar I want. And, I want it NEW - I am not interested in a used guitar.

Here is the dilemma I face:

On one hand, I like the guitar on the wall at GC. Unlike others, I find my experiences at my local GC to be very positive. I have sat and played that guitar for more than a couple hours, through several different amps. I feel like I owe them a shot at a sale. But they would not accept a used classical in trade due to a very slightly bowed neck (not correctable due to no truss rod) - I would have walked out of there that night with the SG.

On the other hand, I REALLY like the idea of getting a guitar that NO ONE has played previously - one that it is MY guitar! Not one that has been handled by dozens of people of the past few months. So buying from a place like Sweetwater seems to be ideal.

But, when buying online, I'm not handling the guitar before purchasing, so I can't KNOW if it is the right guitar.

Am I being hypocritical - having handled the guitar myself, then not wanting to buy it because others might have done the same? Or, since it's my cash, can I feel OK in spending it anywhere I choose? And what about the idea that every guitar is slightly different?

Any sage advice?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 AM

I wouldn't hessitate and you do have a return policy that if you dont like it all you are out is the shipping. I think there is way less risk on an electric compared to an acoustic. At the most you may have to get it set up or talk to the sweetwater folks and have them pick out a good one.

With Sweetwater it is more personal than say musicians friend but musicans friend always has big discounts depending on how much you buy. I would also call Elderly and talk to them as well as other places. One thing is that the prices should be close from GC to Sweetwater. but you might hit a bigger discount at GC or musicans friend during the holidays.

Remember your never stuck just understand the return policy. Musicians friend is 45 days and sweetwater is 30 I believe.

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
I REALLY like the idea of getting a guitar that NO ONE has played previously - one that it is MY guitar! Not one that has been handled by dozens of people of the past few months
In my experience, virginity is highly overrated

Quote:
Am I being hypocritical - having handled the guitar myself, then not wanting to buy it because others might have done the same?
You have repeatedly pawed and prodded the poor girl in every conceivable way, testing the limits of her performance in every possible position, for hours at a time. Now you think she's a tramp who is unworthy of your affections because someone else may have shown her the slightest interest?

What, you're afraid that if a better player touches her that she'll turn around and laugh at your own skills?

Quote:
what about the idea that every guitar is slightly different?
Especially true with Gibsons. Every mass-produced object like the one under consideration will show significant variability. The one you tried at GC is a known quantity. Anything you buy online can never be

If you're willing to take the chance of getting a dud, then play the return/replace game over a period of weeks (if not months) plus the added cost of multiple shipping fees back-and-forth, then go for it. Otherwise, get over the sting of having your local GC being completely uninterested in a guitar that needs more work than it's worth (classical necks can be straightened the same as with any other no-trussrod guitar) and buy the known quantity - that you said yourself you liked

https://www.martinshenandoahguitars.info/
Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Try pricing with Guitar Gallery Canonsburg Pa. Their website is all but inoperable but the store CRANKS OUT Gibson and Epi's at prices lower than the pixilated box stores. AND They know their guitars. Buying one off them today and they don't even know it
Many famous folks shop with Vic and Tim. I have caught Zakk Wylde in there, Megadeaths guitar tech (Fred) hangs out there when he has down time.
I asked for a price on a Masterbuilt one time, came home, looked it up on the net. I called them and said their price must be a mistake! It wasn't. I guess you pay for that box store free shipping in the price.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Here's my story;
I have the same concerns about buying a Gretsch on-line.
I found a dealer who has a great reputation among Gretsch guitar players. Then I made sure that there was a 30 day exchange policy in place.
I found a used 2009 Gretsch Black Falcon that was never played ( I think Gretsch used it as a display model.)
The guitar was mint! I bought it and am very happy!
I've had good experiences with GC, and know that they will exchange the guitar if it doesn't meet your expectations ( which may happen with Gibsons)
Go for it!
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 AM

Call Wildwood Guitars.

Best dealer on the planet, IMHO.

My SG, among others, came from them. Outstanding.

Great excuse to post a pic.

Last edited by Humbuster; 12-07-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPicks View Post
In my experience, virginity is highly overrated

You have repeatedly pawed and prodded the poor girl in every conceivable way, testing the limits of her performance in every possible position, for hours at a time. Now you think she's a tramp who is unworthy of your affections because someone else may have shown her the slightest interest?

Well, that's not exactly what I said! Actually, I am far too much of a beginner - and especially to electrics - to even know if I was handling a great example or a dud. It seemed fine - but by no means did I "test her limits" in the few hours I spent messing around.

But I can tell you that I am not a guitar "turn-over" kind of person - this guitar will be mine for as long as I can imagine. I just wouldn't mind if every single scratch on it came from me.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:41 PM

If you want a guitar that feels, plays, and sounds EXACTLY like the one in the store then get the one in the store there is too much variability in standard Gibsons to do otherwise. If you just want an SG and theres nothing special to you about that particular SG in the store then by all means order online there are a lot of great dealers with great prices that have return policies if you get one you don't like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification