The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-12-2023, 11:28 PM

Default McPherson Touring questions.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a touring but I’m struggling with the weave. Anyone compared the weaves for sound? I read some suggestions that the basket weave was a bit more midrange on the Sables’s. I’m having a hard time with the ‘honeycomb’…. I grew up on a farm so it’s 100% chicken wire and I will never see anything else. But if it sounded best I could deal I guess.

Any thoughts on the LA Guitar version’s? I see they have I can’t seem to figure out how it’s different other than the writing in the headstock.

Just struggling on which model…
Old 02-13-2023, 04:31 AM

Hi... I purchased the honeycomb version or chicken wire version and was surprised in real life by how subtle the weave is. I really went back and forth online but when I saw them in real life was surprised. I went with the all-blacked-out version which I liked best... it just happened to be chicken wire. You only see it in bright direct light... The pictures are exaggerated based on high-intensity lights. That being said... if it is not a good look for you ... then would not buy it. I know how little things can drive a person crazy :-). From a sound perspective... I hear no difference to my ears between weaves. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 02-13-2023 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I played a Touring at Acoustic Vibes in Tempe, AZ, last week. It had the "camo" top, which I had never seen in person before. In photos, I was less than impressed with the camo, but it looked pretty sharp in person. Just tossing out another consideration.

I was also impressed with the sound from the Touring. The last time I played one was about 5 years ago, and it sounded a bit muted to me - this one was full and balanced. Back then, someone asked how I felt about it compared to my Emerald X7... I have some current thoughts:

My X7 is the previous generation, and I really like the sound, size, and feel of that guitar. This current Touring is similarly pleasing to my ears and fun to play - I thought the 22 3/4" scale might feel cramped compared to the 24" on the X7, but it didn't seem so. The Touring felt heavier, no doubt due to the way the back and sides are made. Also, I am not a fan of the textured back and sides of the Touring, where it felt "grabby" on my pants and shirt. My X7 (and also the custom ordered X10 I have) has the "cracked ice" finish on the back and sides, and that feels much better to me - durable and textured, without being grabby.

I like smaller guitars. McPherson has definitely improved Touring from the early model I played.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

I think the "LA Guitar" version you speak of is just the latest from McPherson.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:59 PM

Hi again, can anyone give me a good description of the neck shape? Is it thin like a Taylor or?
Old 02-24-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbflat View Post
Hi again, can anyone give me a good description of the neck shape? Is it thin like a Taylor or?

The neck is very much “Tayloresque”. I really like it.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The neck is very much “Tayloresque”. I really like it.
Yep. The neck was thin enough that I thought it might be a 1 11/16" nut width, but it is 1 3/4". I have a Taylor T5 that has the thinnest neck of any of my guitars (including other Taylor acoustics) - just going from memory here, because I don't have the T5 with me, but the Touring felt about that thin. It was comfortable to me.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:52 PM

Humm…… I like necks on the thicker side, or at least a medium C.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbflat View Post
Humm…… I like necks on the thicker side, or at least a medium C.
I don't know if there is a Guitar Center near the center of the earth, but you could take advantage of the killer return policy they have should you decide you don't like the Sable.

Sounds like Emerald might be the perfect neck for you. Not speaking from personal experience but just what I've read.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

The McPherson neck is my favorite, you may want to talk to Ted at LA Guitars, he can answer a lot of questions and has a 3 day return policy (I think it is) great to deal with too.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:38 PM

McPherson claims all the tops sound the same, though I've heard some claim that there are some subtle differences. Acoustic Shoppe did a comparison of the different tops on the Sable here.

As for the headstock, they changed the design to the inlayed version starting in 2022. Those with the plate on the headstock are the older model. Fretboard inlays are different, on the 2022, dots are on the older ones, now it's just the 12th fret wave/swoosh, tuners are also different. I personally like the newer aesthetic, it looks more like a premium guitar.

I have a honeycomb Sable, have never compared it to others sonically. Some angles it's barely noticeable and looks flat black, others it catches the light and pops with a chicken wire like appearance, others it actually reminds me of reptile scales which I think is really cool. Totally get it if it's not your vibe, I think the camo is very interesting looking as well.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
...Sounds like Emerald might be the perfect neck for you. Not speaking from personal experience but just what I've read.
If you (OP) are wondering what the neck profile of an Emerald looks like, here is a comparison of an X-20 neck with Taylor, Larrivee and Martin's MLO profile (in case you're familiar with that).

necks.jpg

The Emerald neck is noticeably fatter than a Taylor, and gargantuan compared to Larrivee.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:36 AM

Like others have said... McPherson Touring is very Taylor like and I find a fast play neck. Love the flat textured neck finish versus a glossy one. When I move from the Touring to my Fender 52 Reissue Tele .. it's like playing a baseball bat :-) but adjust for those big fat bar cords ...hahahah. Like others have said.. if you have a Guitar Center near you I would check with them to play. Also, they run an excellent discount often on guitars which helped me afford this guitar. From a service perspective, Ted is the best! To be honest... this guitar is bulletproof from the factory with multiple saddles custom-made for the guitar..etc. That is why I took a chance with GC.(plus the great discount!) If this was a wooden guitar...it would be Ted all the way.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If you (OP) are wondering what the neck profile of an Emerald looks like, here is a comparison of an X-20 neck with Taylor, Larrivee and Martin's MLO profile (in case you're familiar with that).

Attachment 88181

The Emerald neck is noticeably fatter than a Taylor, and gargantuan compared to Larrivee.
Just because I’m picky about such things, the Martin neck depicted in that graphic, isn’t the MLO, it’s the Mod-V. A typical 00-18 would have an MLO, but the 00-18V had a Mod-V when it was in production. I personally LOVE the Mod V neck (both of my Martins, a CEO-7 and an 000-28EC, have Mod-V necks) and don’t much care for the MLO, which I’ve had on previous guitars.

-Ray
Old 02-26-2023, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Just because I’m picky about such things, the Martin neck depicted in that graphic, isn’t the MLO, it’s the Mod-V. A typical 00-18 would have an MLO, but the 00-18V had a Mod-V when it was in production. I personally LOVE the Mod V neck (both of my Martins, a CEO-7 and an 000-28EC, have Mod-V necks) and don’t much care for the MLO, which I’ve had on previous guitars.

-Ray
Ah yes. Don't know why I was thinking MLO. Well, I do, but I don't like to admit it anymore. I'm a fan of the 00-18V neck as well. Thanks for the correction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber