The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2024, 06:58 PM

Default best type of guitar strings for a bass voice singer

I know this might sound a little stupid, but I was wondering what make and kind of strings go best with a bass voice singer? I just re strung my taylor with some DAdddario EJ16 light gauge strings, and the guitar sounds too tinny for me. I 'd like the deepest sounding strings I could get. Any suggestions? I was thinking about drop tuning my guitar and I have done that in the past, but it causes a little confusion when I play with others.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
I know this might sound a little stupid, but I was wondering what make and kind of strings go best with a bass voice singer? I just re-strung my Taylor with some D'Addario EJ16 light-gauge strings, and the guitar sounds too tinny for me...
Not surprised - a few thoughts:
  • If it's an older and/or smaller-body Taylor (before the early-2K's) there generally isn't too much you can do, as their inherent design favors the middle and treble frequencies - I'd pick through various makes/compositions (PB, 80/20, 85/15, monel, pure nickel, hybrid wrap) until you find something that you can live with;
  • Not that anyone here on the AGF ever needs an excuse to buy a new instrument, but you just might be one of those cases where you actually need a larger guitar that complements your voice - as long as you don't sacrifice the contrast of clear trebles to keep things from sounding muddy (a maple jumbo like the Guild F-50 - or the recently-discontinued carbon-fiber Rainsong JM1000 - might be a good place to start);
  • If you're primarily a strummer, you might also consider a jumbo (17") 12-string: I'd look for strong bass response here (there's going to be enough high-frequency chime and jangle), and if you've got the money (and it's going to be your main instrument) I'd seriously consider a rosewood Guild F-512 - if not, find one to test-drive anyway and use it as your guide (FWIW Guilds are historically the criterion by which all other 12-strings are judged - and, as you'll soon discover when you play one, not without good reason)...
Old 03-11-2024, 07:45 PM

Try a set of Martin Retro strings and tune down 1 full step.
When you play with others use a capo at second fret.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Not surprised - a few thoughts:
  • If it's an older and/or smaller-body Taylor (before the early-2K's) there generally isn't too much you can do, as their inherent design favors the middle and treble frequencies - I'd pick through various makes/compositions (PB, 80/20, 85/15, monel, pure nickel, hybrid wrap) until you find something that you can live with;
  • Not that anyone here on the AGF ever needs an excuse to buy a new instrument, but you just might be one of those cases where you actually need a larger guitar that complements your voice - as long as you don't sacrifice the contrast of clear trebles to keep things from sounding muddy (a maple jumbo like the Guild F-50 - or the recently-discontinued carbon-fiber Rainsong JM1000 - might be a good place to start);
  • If you're primarily a strummer, you might also consider a jumbo (17") 12-string: I'd look for strong bass response here (there's going to be enough high-frequency chime and jangle), and if you've got the money (and it's going to be your main instrument) I'd seriously consider a rosewood Guild F-512 - if not, find one to test-drive anyway and use it as your guide (FWIW Guilds are historically the criterion by which all other 12-strings are judged - and, as you'll soon discover when you play one, not without good reason)...
I think you've given me the idea to start a new thread and ask what kind of guitar goes good with a bass voice. Strings? save em. Throw the guitar out! ha ha. But I have never looked at guitars with that purpose in mind and now I will. Thanks! Also when I record on garage band, I always turn the treble down and the bass up for the guitar track. Duhhhhh! Never thought about changing the guitar out. I have 3 taylors and the 12 string is no problem.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
I know this might sound a little stupid, but I was wondering what make and kind of strings go best with a bass voice singer? I just re strung my taylor with some DAdddario EJ16 light gauge strings, and the guitar sounds too tinny for me. I 'd like the deepest sounding strings I could get. Any suggestions? I was thinking about drop tuning my guitar and I have done that in the past, but it causes a little confusion when I play with others.
What you wrote has nothing to do with matching your voice. It's simply about a sonic preference that can be shared by anyone with any vocal range. Try a lot of sets and choose what tickles your ears best. There's no way someone here can know what you'll hear given any set of strings. Experiment.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-12-2024, 02:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
What you wrote has nothing to do with matching your voice. It's simply about a sonic preference that can be shared by anyone with any vocal range. Try a lot of sets and choose what tickles your ears best. There's no way someone here can know what you'll hear given any set of strings. Experiment.
I’m with Jim. I consider myself a singer who accompanies himself on guitar and, in the 60+ years I’ve been playing and performing, I’ve never given a thought to a guitar ‘matching’ my voice, nor have I ever known anyone else who has. If I like the sound of a guitar, I enjoy singing with it. For me, the most important things are the overall sound of the instrument and, most importantly, how it feels and plays - the absolute last thing I want is to be distracted from giving the best vocal performance I can by a guitar that doesn’t feel comfortable and play easy. If I’m comfortable with the guitar, I’m comfortable period.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-12-2024, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I’m with Jim. I consider myself a singer who accompanies himself on guitar and, in the 60+ years I’ve been playing and performing, I’ve never given a thought to a guitar ‘matching’ my voice, nor have I ever known anyone else who has. If I like the sound of a guitar, I enjoy singing with it. For me, the most important things are the overall sound of the instrument and, most importantly, how it feels and plays - the absolute last thing I want is to be distracted from giving the best vocal performance I can by a guitar that doesn’t feel comfortable and play easy. If I’m comfortable with the guitar, I’m comfortable period.
I totally agree. While this question of guitar/vocal range match comes up with some frequency, I find no connection between the two on any concrete level. Pick a guitar and you can find a successful soprano and baritone singer using it.

Liking the sound of the instrument is the most important thing for me.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-13-2024, 05:58 AM

I also frequently see posts regarding matching a particular guitar to a particular vocal range and am always highly skeptical

IMO going further to try to match a specific string brand or winding alloy to one's voice is time wasted that could be better used practicing playing in a way that supports your vocals and/or singing in a way that works with your playing style.

I'd like to see someone knowledgeable in these "pairings" provide video examples of how the string/guitar selection (and not simply the playing and singing style/technique) makes a detectable audible difference.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

As I have noted in another similar thread, the choice of guitar is a minor consideration to matching a voice. How a guitar is played is the major consideration regardless of the voice or the guitar.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion