The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Any All Hog Fans Out there?

I currently find myself affixed on the all mahogany small body sound for slow fingerstyle playing? Anyone else out there share this sentiment? What are some of the collective favorite all mahogany small body guitars? I currently have a Collings 00 all mahogany that is spectacular. Now, I'm wondering... how different would all hog guitars from other makers/builders sound? For example, how alike/different would a Martin 00-15m be to my Collings 00?
Old 11-11-2020, 11:14 AM

Smile

I got my 00-15m (new) in December 2019 and I’m bonding well with the guitar. I think I really like the tone of an all-Hog guitar. Although its tone is somewhat compressed and softer than a Spruce-top, it just sounds so sweet! It smells great too but I don’t think it’s the mahogany that’s the cause of the scent. I had a thread recently on the scent of Martin guitars. It is also so lightly-built, weighing only 3 lbs 6.6 oz. The above reasons make me like this guitar of mine.

I’ve never played a Collings, but would love to one of these days. I’ve heard only good things about Collings guitars so your all-Hog must sound awesome!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-11-2020, 11:41 AM

This deals with lower cost instruments than the Collings...

I have had nice all solid mahogany guitars from Martin and Larrivee, and have a Guild M120 that is 'African Mahogany', which I thing is a different species, but, holy moly, it is a nice, solid, and pretty loud and articulate parlor guitar. I wish it was a 12-fretter. The two Martin 000-15S guitars I have had were sweet. I think they might have been the best sounding instruments in the universe. Some photos -

I have had two left handed Larrivee P-05MT, all mahogany parlors, also 12-frets. I should still have one of them. Lots of regrets in this post.

This is a Larrivee and a Martin 000-15 14-fretter. The Martin 000-15 is a really nice guitar too. I have a hankering preference for 12 frets, I have come to accept. I have no 12-fetters around at the present. A shame. Being a lefty complicates it some.

This was the second Larrivee P-05MT (MT=Mahogany top. Most Larrivee 05s have mahogany backs and sides with spruce tops).

The Larrivee appointments and binding on the two P-05MTs were beautiful...

In the non-solid-wood lefty world, I found a very nice Alvarez AP-70L in a guitar store in Phoenix, but passed on getting it. Later, I ordered one from an online place and it was solid, but not as nice sounding. It's the only 12 fret guitar I didn't warm to. The Alvarez AP66 is all hog, but they don't make them in lefty orientation, so I can only imagine. They look sweet.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6120T-1960
Old 11-11-2020, 11:45 AM

An Alvarez AP66

And the Guild M120 LE
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6120T-1960
Old 11-11-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I have an all hog Guild D-120C that is a weekly player along with my Avalon. I play only instrumental fingerstyle. I prefer the tone and sustain of larger bodied guitars for this purpose.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 11-11-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I have an all hog taylor gc. 12 string 12 fret.
My favorite 12 string that I’ve played. I think Mahogany solves a lot of issues with 12 string guitars.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

You bet!

My Taylor 522 (GC size 12 fret) is the favorite of my guitars. Not the stereotypical Taylor sound. Very full, warm, super easy to play.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:10 PM

About three months ago I picked up a Martin Custom Shop OM-15 which is specked and sold only by LA Guitars. I think Ted at LA Guitars hit a home run with this model. I’m so impressed with the sound and versatility of this guitar.
Imo they took away some negatives from the 000-15 and for me the biggest change is a 1 3/4” nut which is a must have for me. In addition they’ve added binding, change the string spacing and it comes in satin or gloss finish.
Might be worth checking out at their website or call Ted.

Last edited by jschmitz54; 11-11-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmar10 View Post
For example, how alike/different would a Martin 00-15m be to my Collings 00?
I'm a huge all-Mahogany 00 fan... I've owned several, including Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz and Huss and Dalton. I've probably played at least a dozen Collings 00s and you have a fantastic guitar. They have a big, rich, full, lovely sound.

I had a Martin 00-15M and loved it... it was my first all-Mahogany guitar. And fun as the 15 series is, there is no comparison between them and your Collings 00.

From your post, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for... something similar, different, better, cheaper? Can you give us a little more information?
Old 11-11-2020, 12:26 PM

I prefer an all Mahogany over one with a spruce top - but I have also always owned a rosewood guitar as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AGF DE.jpg (75.8 KB, 308 views)
Old 11-11-2020, 12:32 PM

I’m a fan of the Santa Cruz/Collings all hogs. I’ve recent become enamored with the all mahogany banner Gibsons. The j45s and lg2s are just incredible. They retain that Gibson base but really warm up the trebles and mids.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:37 PM

In my experience the only all mahogany Martin that can stand anywhere near your Collings 00-Mh is the 00-17 Authentic. I love the 15s b ut they just are not in the same league (until they get to be around 80 and then they are only in the same league tonally).

I have owned the Collings 00-Mh and it is a great guitar, I prefer it to the Santa Cruz 1929 for everything but straight up blues - the Don Edwards model is quite a bit more versatile (while the same size) does not compress as easily and has quite a bit more comfortable string spacings than does much tighter 1929. The downside is that the DE is quite a bit more expensive at new pricing.

You could also consider a Mahogany Goodall or Froggy Bottom - both are more romantically voiced than the "vintage" style voicing in a Martin or Santa Cruz.... the Collings falls more into the "modern" or "romantic" voicing than the Santa Cruz or the Martin so you might find them "less different". Still both the Froggies and the Goodalls have their own magic and they are certainly in the same category guitar as you Collings. Both the Goodalls and the Froggies in all Mahogany 00s are going to be much harder to find and quite a bit more expensive - but they have an all Sinker Mahogany Froggy 00 at Eddies right now that is superb and Matt has a video of it on Youtube. Plus, I've purchase several times from Eddies and Matt is good folks.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar View Post
This deals with lower cost instruments than the Collings...

I have had nice all solid mahogany guitars from Martin and Larrivee, and have a Guild M120 that is 'African Mahogany', which I thing is a different species, but, holy moly, it is a nice, solid, and pretty loud and articulate parlor guitar. I wish it was a 12-fretter. The two Martin 000-15S guitars I have had were sweet. I think they might have been the best sounding instruments in the universe. Some photos -

I have had two left handed Larrivee P-05MT, all mahogany parlors, also 12-frets. I should still have one of them. Lots of regrets in this post.

This is a Larrivee and a Martin 000-15 14-fretter. The Martin 000-15 is a really nice guitar too. I have a hankering preference for 12 frets, I have come to accept. I have no 12-fetters around at the present. A shame. Being a lefty complicates it some.

This was the second Larrivee P-05MT (MT=Mahogany top. Most Larrivee 05s have mahogany backs and sides with spruce tops).

The Larrivee appointments and binding on the two P-05MTs were beautiful...

In the non-solid-wood lefty world, I found a very nice Alvarez AP-70L in a guitar store in Phoenix, but passed on getting it. Later, I ordered one from an online place and it was solid, but not as nice sounding. It's the only 12 fret guitar I didn't warm to. The Alvarez AP66 is all hog, but they don't make them in lefty orientation, so I can only imagine. They look sweet.
Beautiful guitars, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
I got my 00-15m (new) in December 2019 and I’m bonding well with the guitar. I think I really like the tone of an all-Hog guitar. Although its tone is somewhat compressed and softer than a Spruce-top, it just sounds so sweet! It smells great too but I don’t think it’s the mahogany that’s the cause of the scent. I had a thread recently on the scent of Martin guitars. It is also so lightly-built, weighing only 3 lbs 6.6 oz. The above reasons make me like this guitar of mine.

I’ve never played a Collings, but would love to one of these days. I’ve heard only good things about Collings guitars so your all-Hog must sound awesome!
Your post on the 00-18 vs 00-15 inspired this one... I want to try a 00-15 series Martin sometime. I just wish they made them with a wider nut... i may have to get my hands on a 000-15sm.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
About three months ago I picked up a Martin Custom Shop OM-15 which is specked and sold only by LA Guitars. I think Ted at LA Guitars hit a home run with this model. I’m so impressed with the sound and versatility of this guitar.
Imo they took away some negatives from the 000-15 and for me the biggest change is a 1 3/4” nut which is a must have for me. In addition they’ve added binding, change the string spacing and it comes in satin or gloss finish.
Might be worth checking out at their website or call Ted.
Now, this is great information; the two "issues" you have listed here are exactly why I've avoided the Martin 15 series. I might have to give this a hard look. Thanks for sharing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion