The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-11-2021, 12:22 AM

Default Dazzo 60s installed in Martin HD28

I guess I’m a convert for Dazzo. I had Kerry from Char Luthiers in Portland install the Dazzo in my Martin HD28. Haven’t bought a preamp, but fed straight into my Boss MK2 50, it sounds great with no EQ needed.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-11-2021, 06:01 AM

Congratulations! Can you please post a recording?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-11-2021, 06:14 AM

As I've stated ad nauseum here, the function of a preamp is to match the high output impedance that all piezo pickups have with the low input impedance frequently found on amps and PA's. Its not just to boost the piezo signal for use by your PA/amp (although most preamps today do that as well).

If you're plugging in to a high impedance (HI Z) input, a preamp isn't necessary. My Carvin AG300 for example has two HI Z inputs. I don't need any preamp when plugging any of my (JJB) piezo equipped instruments into it. If I do use my RedEye there is no audible difference. The specs for your BOSS state a 1 Mohm input. That's high impedance.

The need (or lack of a need) for a preamp with a passive piezo pickup is dictated by the PA or amp you're plugging into, not the pickup you're using.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:42 AM

Ahhh... I really got happy to see more Dazzo users being happy with their pickups. I've installed the exactly same pickup in the exactly same acoustic guitar you did! 60s into HD28! I'm not using it anymore since I did some stupid moves trying to reinstall it and broke the pickup, but it was one of the best acoustic plugged in sounds I've ever had!

I'll try a K&K pickup pretty soon! I hope it sounds as good as the Dazzo 60s sounded in my HD28!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 03-11-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
Ahhh... I really got happy to see more Dazzo users being happy with their pickups. I've installed the exactly same pickup in the exactly same acoustic guitar you did! 60s into HD28! I'm not using it anymore since I did some stupid moves trying to reinstall it and broke the pickup, but it was one of the best acoustic plugged in sounds I've ever had!

I'll try a K&K pickup pretty soon! I hope it sounds as good as the Dazzo 60s sounded in my HD28!
Why not go back to the Dazzo? Sounds like you had amazing results. I can't see the K&K being any better. Is there a reason why you moved on from it, other than the reinstall issue?
Old 03-11-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
As I've stated ad nauseum here, the function of a preamp is to match the high output impedance that all piezo pickups have with the low input impedance frequently found on amps and PA's. Its not just to boost the piezo signal for use by your PA/amp (although most preamps today do that as well).

If you're plugging in to a high impedance (HI Z) input, a preamp isn't necessary. My Carvin AG300 for example has two HI Z inputs. I don't need any preamp when plugging any of my (JJB) piezo equipped instruments into it. If I do use my RedEye there is no audible difference. The specs for your BOSS state a 1 Mohm input. That's high impedance.

The need (or lack of a need) for a preamp with a passive piezo pickup is dictated by the PA or amp you're plugging into, not the pickup you're using.
I know I don't need a preamp, but probably need one when I go to open mics and plug into a mixer board or PA system with low impedance inputs. However I may try to get by with a Superfly amp as a preamp which has the benefit of besides being paid for, I can add my backing tracks via the built in BT.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-11-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Why try K&K when you were happy with the Dazzos? I suspect you may be able to buy a replacement single Dazzo unless they are matched. I guess I have read about those going from the K&K to Dazzo, but not the other way.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-11-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Congratulations! Can you please post a recording?
I will try although I've only been playing since April so it will show more of my bad playing

As a relative newbie, I have limited experience, but immediately I was impressed with the HD28 Dazzo equipped vs the Taylor 214CE with ES2. It was plug it in and no changes. I know this is apples and oranges, but I seemed to have to mess with EQ with the ES2 equipped Taylor to get decent sound.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-11-2021, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It won't. Not even close. I bought a K&K equipped guitar and could not wait to get rid of them.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-11-2021, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
I will try although I've only been playing since April so it will show more of my bad playing

As a relative newbie, I have limited experience, but immediately I was impressed with the HD28 Dazzo equipped vs the Taylor 214CE with ES2. It was plug it in and no changes. I know this is apples and oranges, but I seemed to have to mess with EQ with the ES2 equipped Taylor to get decent sound.
I have no beef with the ES2 system. It's competent. My beef is running an open mic, getting the sound right, then having the owner twiddle knobs. Almost every time. Instead of asking for more volume in the monitors, they crank their guitar volume, sending us running for the channel fader. I now just rest my finger on it and watch.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-11-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I have no beef with the ES2 system. It's competent. My beef is running an open mic, getting the sound right, then having the owner twiddle knobs. Almost every time. Instead of asking for more volume in the monitors, they crank their guitar volume, sending us running for the channel fader. I now just rest my finger on it and watch.
The volume adjustment would be a pain for sure. Couldn't you just ask them to keep the volume maxed on the ES2 while doing soundcheck? Nowhere for them to go after that!

The only issue I have with playing shows where someone is running the sound is that they often eq my guitar for the room. I mean that makes total sense but it often means stripping it of any body and making it hi-fi.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Why not go back to the Dazzo? Sounds like you had amazing results. I can't see the K&K being any better. Is there a reason why you moved on from it, other than the reinstall issue?
I just got really impressed with the K&K Trinity system in a few videos I've seen. Really good sounding. I think that it with a good preamp might be a great possibility, and it's easier to install (I'd say it's more "foolproof"). It took 8 months to the Dazzo get here, in Brazil. I can not wait another 8 months to it be with Teddy, so he can fix it, and wait another 8 months to it be back here, with me paying for the mailing and taxes... the Covid-19 made a poor mailing system here in Brazil even worse. The Dazzo + Internal Mic might be an even better sounding system, but after what happened to me, in my actual conditions, where I live, etc., I just can not afford another trial. So I decided to try the K&K Trinity, that I have received as a gift from a huge friend of mine, that really supports my music in so many ways. It might be a totally different story if I lived in USA.

And I really feel that the K&K Trinity might be a great option. I'll let you guys know how my HD28 is sounding with it, as soon as I have it with me, and installed. I'll make a video on youtube!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 03-13-2021, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I really like the Dazzo #70 Transducer system I recently installed in my Larrivee D-40M, and for a passive system, this impresses me.
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-13-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I really like the Dazzo #70 Transducer system I recently installed in my Larrivee D-40M, and for a passive system, this impresses me.
You've been a big Trance supporter. Just wondering how you would compare the Dazzo and Amulet?
Old 03-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
You've been a big Trance supporter. Just wondering how you would compare the Dazzo and Amulet?
Scott, they're both Good! The Trance Amulet M-VT takes care of plug-and-play, and the Dazzo needs an outboard preamp. If you've got a good preamp, and you have the Felix, the Dazzo should very well do-ya-for. Caveat: I like the Trance, Dazzo, and the Taylor ES2. Strangely, the LR Baggs Element VTC in my Emerald X-20 sounds good when routed through an LR Baggs Acoustic Session DI. Then there's also the ToneDexter to consider bringing into the mix ...
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification