The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2024, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

You might want to post on the Facebook Carbon Fiber Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/carbonfiberguitars/. No cost to join or post an ad...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-18-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime is Money View Post
Thought about that, I might try to sell a few smaller pieces but sell bulk items like you say.

I got to meet Ashvin, who was a great man, but it was sad to walk into the end of their glory.

I don't want to post this as an ad anywhere since selling is reserved for charter members.
You're already kinda "advertising". Pony up for a Charter membership?

Realistically, unless you want to spend a whole bunch of time and effort, I'd list it all on eBay and sell it as a complete group of supplies.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:02 PM

I'm curious, OP. You mentioned you are neither a guitar player nor a builder, so how did you come upon all of these parts? You mentioned purchasing manufacturing equipment. Do you work with carbon fiber in some capacity, then?

YAMAHA AC6R
YAMAHA FS5
YAMAHA RGX-A2
Ibanez PF-40 Flamed Maple B/S (1990s)
Ibanez RG ? MIJ (1987?)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:02 AM

I really appreciate everyone's help in this, I think I know what I'll be doing. Things will get separated by item and posted on ebay most likely. A few local hobbyists and small time luthiers reached out to me from marketplace and I might just hook them up with small amounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytse43 View Post
I'm curious, OP. You mentioned you are neither a guitar player nor a builder, so how did you come upon all of these parts? You mentioned purchasing manufacturing equipment. Do you work with carbon fiber in some capacity, then?
I own a CNC machining shop for my own prototyping + production and Ashvin from Rainsong was selling a rotary screw compressor I've been looking for. Once I got there I got sucked into all the other stuff he was liquidating and ended up with way more than I came for. Not as a bad thing, and he needed it all gone too. I don't deal with carbon fiber, though.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime is Money View Post
I own a CNC machining shop for my own prototyping + production and Ashvin from Rainsong was selling a rotary screw compressor I've been looking for. Once I got there I got sucked into all the other stuff he was liquidating and ended up with way more than I came for. Not as a bad thing, and he needed it all gone too. I don't deal with carbon fiber, though.
(Tardy) thanks for the reply! I did a search for "rotary screw compressor"--makes sense. Not a typical Home Depot / Lowe's item, then, ehh?!

YAMAHA AC6R
YAMAHA FS5
YAMAHA RGX-A2
Ibanez PF-40 Flamed Maple B/S (1990s)
Ibanez RG ? MIJ (1987?)
Old 05-26-2024, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytse43 View Post
(Tardy) thanks for the reply! I did a search for "rotary screw compressor"--makes sense. Not a typical Home Depot / Lowe's item, then, ehh?!

I once went to Lowe’s on a flyer to see if they had a urinal flush valve in stock. Was perusing the aisle when an attendant came up and asked if he could help - I asked about the urinal flush valve and he, looking very perplexed, said “No sir. This is Lowe’s HOME improvement.” (Extra long emphasis on home)

I still giggle at that.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:49 AM

A lot of parts there, some of which are Rainsong exclusives, others ,ore generic in nature. One is either repairing guitars or building them. As they are Rainsong build parts, another would have to be make the call to use them as they are or have a bridge part that could be slightly modified to fit one of their current models with a slightly smaller footprint of a CF/Rosewood base. The Fishman preamps, along with the output jacks could be upgradeable for some guitars. Are they the current generation Fishman preamps & those could be used as a one for one replacement of a defective preamp just the same. Selling them individually or as a lot for a modest profit is really what most would have to do. Perhaps there is a individual boutique guitar manufacturer that would have interest in them. Another thought, buy a bare bones acoustic kit & use the parts as spec to manufacture a complete guitar & sell those as a startup brand. Sometimes you see the Chinese brands on Amazon, they make a run of guitars and for all intents & purposes those disappear when the limited production run lots are all sold. The beauty of the parts, they are usable for anyone that needs Rainsong parts for replacement & that leaves the repair center/luthier to make the call on whether to source a part you have or build a new bridge from scratch. Hopefully there are enough Rainsong documentation on line to make it easier for a replacement part identification.

We all kinda knew the answer for what lots of parts you have and eBay, Facebook & Reverb are those marketplaces to either use or resell them for another to get the most out of the parts. Any part has to have a consumer need/use.

Last edited by Jimbo00; 05-26-2024 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:53 AM

I really wish I had a silver bullet solution for you… love a lot of what folks have said (ie ensuring the materials get in the hands of capable luthiers).

With that being said, I own 2 rainsongs, and a pal owns another. Because of the nature of CF, we use these guitars in more extreme circumstances and therefore are more prone to potential damage. With the company now being out of business, it stresses me out a bit! Haha

With that in mind; I’m the sort of guy who would buy spare tunes are frets to future proof the guitars I own.

If you do route the whole lot to someone, please let us know where so that we can track down parts.

If you DO figure out the eBay thing (my recommended approach), please let us know. On that… there’s an eBay seller called the Stratosphere that specializes in selling guitar components (necks, pickups, knobs etc). It may be a worthwhile idea to reach out to that person and see if they’d be interested in the lot, or perhaps listing everything for a share? As they have the components process dialed in, they could be a great resource…

Cheers!
Old 05-26-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
With that in mind; I’m the sort of guy who would buy spare tunes are frets to future proof the guitars I own.
I have a shorty and agree with you wrt the tuners - I'd love to have a spare set. However, if I ever need the frets replaced (and that's likely - I'm a lefty playing righty and do not have a light touch) I'd more likely to with EVO or SS...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion