The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 09:50 AM

Default Summer of '66 Harmony H1215

Tons of these still around, but the one I picked up yesterday for CDN$80.00 has a perfect neck, perfect action, and needed only a new nut to get it back playing. Definitely played, lots of external wear, but nothing structurally wrong at all. Neck joint solid. A 92 year old woman was going to the lodge, selling her home... It was her husband's, long since deceased. Her kids (in their 60s!) wanted it to go to someone who wouldn't flip it. They chose me.

I haven't posted here in a while - would love to upload a few photos. She plays nice. Much bolder with a thick pick!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1966 Harmony H1215
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-17-2024, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Tons of these still around, but the one I picked up yesterday for CDN$80.00 has a perfect neck, perfect action, and needed only a new nut to get it back playing. Definitely played, lots of external wear, but nothing structurally wrong at all. Neck joint solid. A 92 year old woman was going to the lodge, selling her home... It was her husband's, long since deceased. Her kids (in their 60s!) wanted it to go to someone who wouldn't flip it. They chose me.

I haven't posted here in a while - would love to upload a few photos. She plays nice. Much bolder with a thick pick!

Nice get at a fine price. You’re really lucky to find one with a good neck angle!

These old ladder-braced guitars have their own sound.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-17-2024, 11:06 AM

I have been playing Harmony acoustics since the 1960s. I like them well enough that I still have six around including a 1942 H165 (which prior to 1944 was marketed as a Stella) and 1956 H40 "Uno-Tone" with a Gibson P13 pickup mounted beneath the fingerboard extension.

The H1215 was part of Harmony's Archtone line. With metal being in short supply those built towards the end of WWII are distinguished by wooden tailpieces. As these were lower cost instruments which were in production for close to 30 years there are a ton of them out there. By the later-1950s, the model had acquired a steel reinforced neck and the triple faux body binding. I am also assuming yours has the Harmony logo on the pickguard.

But you certainly did real good on the price. A mid-1960s H1215 in really nice condition can sell for several hundred bucks more than you paid.

Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2024, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Would love to see some pix!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
harmony h1215