The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smossy View Post
How does dazzo do with high stage volumes?
Not particularly well, a bit better in my experience than K&K.

If I was playing in high stage volume situations, I would go straight to Ultratonic. I don't think there is a better SBT with feedback resistance.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-21-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Not particularly well, a bit better in my experience than K&K.

If I was playing in high stage volume situations, I would go straight to Ultratonic. I don't think there is a better SBT with feedback resistance.
Lr Baggs HiFi?
Old 05-21-2024, 09:26 PM

Default Dazzo vs. Ultratonic vs. K&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Lr Baggs HiFi?

LR Baggs reduces feedback with nifty multi band compression. The Ultratonic is passive and has a phase cancellation circuit. I think Ultratonic works fabulously at knocking out feedback and it’s adjustable per guitar. And, did I mention passive? Yes, I think it’s the best SBT for high volume stages. If I played high volume stages and larger audiences, I would use the UT with a ToneDexter 2. As it stands, I probably won’t be selling out any auditoriums or arenas anytime soon, so K&K for me. ;-)
Old 05-22-2024, 06:01 AM

In my experience the Dazzo is as feedback resistant as the UltraTonic. Both are significant upgrades to the K&K concerning overall sound and feedback rejection. Schatten HFN can be very nice sounding, especially in more bass heavy guitars. It has some tendency towards bass weakness so it's not my preference for balanced sounding guitars. I still use all the four mentioned pickups in my guitars and have very good results. But after years of experience with different SBTs in different guitars I mostly succeed in narrow the choice down. And living in Europe makes the Schatten and K&K much easier available than the Dazzo and UltraTonic.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 05-22-2024, 08:25 AM

Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate all the great feedback. I think I'm leaning towards the ultratonic - although by all accounts the Dazzo has pretty universally great reviews as well.

I don't play with drums or anything like that, but it's a five-piece bluegrass band, all plugged in and DI'd, so it can get fairly loud.

I don't have the tonedexter, but I have a Grace Felix and would add an internal mic - been using the DPA4061 lately, so hopefully that would pair nicely with the ultratonic and give it some more air.

I've heard Hawktail live and their guitar player uses the ultratonic (or some variant of a James May pickup). I know he pairs it with a Bartlett mic too - but it sounds pretty amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification