The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2024, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

For me the change in tone is so slight and over such a long period of time that I don't notice the difference until I change them and hear the new set. At that moment I realize the old ones were getting dull. I change them more by look. I was playing my Guild yesterday and I looked down at the strings. They are getting discolored and nasty looking. I thought, "I better change those things, they're getting discolored and nasty looking." I'll probably change them out this week.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-21-2024, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

This is one of those things I’ve been curious to know is - and thus keep track. But not curious enough to actually do it.

So I do not know. I’m very “accommodating” when it comes to the sound of my instruments. Which is to say, I don’t change strings very often.

This is the sort of task I’ve had to do for work over the years and so I’m loathe to do it at home.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 05-21-2024, 01:13 PM

Some days I don't play, but I'd realistically guesstimate 1/2 hour per day, but often longer. Given that string changes happen around 3 months then I could reverse engineer and shoot an approximation of 50 hours.

All of that varies by how rabid I am about playing, and how many gigs get thrown into the picture.

That's really only considering my main acoustic fitted with Elixir Nanos usually. The thing that really determines actual need to change is if the windings start wearing through where they contact the frets. That's the only real physical limit to how long I leave coated PBs on, and that will coincide with intonation difficulties due to physical changes in the wound strings.

The other monkey wrench thrown into the mix is I have nylon strung and electric guitars that are often picked up if the mood strikes, so all those numbers are really only educated guesses.

I can see a great marketing opportunity for a small "hour meter" that would accumulate elapsed time when an instrument was actually being played. It could be half the size of one of those tuners that clip inside the sound hole edge. We players who tend to obsess over tiny details would jump at the opportunity to add these to the guitars we most often use.

Heck, let's go a step further and Bluetooth the playing time to a phone app. It could graph our playing regimen and even notify us to order new strings as well as tell us that it's time to change.

My Alexa already chimes in to tell me when it's time to re-order dog biscuits based on my order history...
Old 05-21-2024, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
I find it’s a combination of playing time and calendar time. Both age the strings.
If I had to guess, I’d say 20 hours of playing time equals about a month of calendar time. Cleaning them occasionally after playing ( I use Stringjoy string cleaner, or just a cloth wipe down) makes a big difference.
I agree it's not just playing time that ages a string. Also if I'm changing tunings often it will shorten the lifespan. I have 6 acoustics that I play but some more than others. My ears will tell me the guitar is not up to it's potential and time for a string change. I don't have oily hands so I just make sure I wash my hands often. I do the dishes every day and that helps keep them clean. Gunk won't build up on a string or your fretboard if your hands are clean.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:28 PM

I restring when the Low E goes "THUDDD" instead of "BOOOOOMMMM".......But I play SCGC strings so it's a long time between clear boom and dull thud.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...

Last edited by HFox; 05-21-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
I restring when the Low E goes "THUDDD" instead of "BOOOOOMMMM".......But I play SCGC strings so it's a long time between clear boom and dull thud.
So how many hours do you estimate it takes before that happens?
Old 05-21-2024, 07:02 PM

I only change strings when I break one.. it’s been about a year or more and I play every day.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:07 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
I only change strings when I break one.. it’s been about a year or more and I play every day.
Yeah, but... how many hours is that, do you think?

Apparently, this is important information.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Default How many hours of playing time before you change strings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
For me the change in tone is so slight and over such a long period of time that I don't notice the difference until I change them and hear the new set. At that moment I realize the old ones were getting dull. I change them more by look. I was playing my Guild yesterday and I looked down at the strings. They are getting discolored and nasty looking. I thought, "I better change those things, they're getting discolored and nasty looking." I'll probably change them out this week.

I agree with you…I see visual evidence of strings aging, then I change ‘em. I did try to answer earlier in the interest of discussion, based on my experience.
When I see corrosion or discoloration, or fraying, that’s when I know. I’m a visual person.
For me, this is usually 6 weeks for regular strings, and about 4 months for treated or coated strings. I only use treated or coated these days.
If I’m playing that guitar a lot, they will need changing sooner, and an unplayed guitar will last longer, to answer the OP’s question.

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 05-22-2024 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Yeah, but... how many hours is that, do you think?

Apparently, this is important information.

I play acoustic for at least 1/2 hour a day and it’s been over year so..
Old 05-21-2024, 10:29 PM

Rough estimate: 1000 hours or more.
D'addario strings last more than a year, while playing >3 hours daily.
Then, at least you hear and feel the change.

Youtubechannel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-M...Vbk1XI5Cy4NA7g
Old 05-24-2024, 10:35 AM

Default Depends

... on how much I play it. Which is usually 1-3 hours a day.

I mark my calendar when I change them, then after a couple of weeks I hook my fingernail under the G and some times D string and run it up the guitar from bridge to nut. If I feel indentations under the string, especially in the 'heavy traffic' areas, I know I will changing soon. I don't have sweaty fingers. The air is dry here in Colorado. I also clean my strings every one-two sessions with a small gun cleaning patch moistened with naptha. Wash my hands every hour or so, and concentrate on fingertips.

This method gets me 2-3 weeks to a month +. Much past a month, I change them on general principles.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster View Post
So how many hours do you estimate it takes before that happens?
I have a number of guitars each of which get played at least once a week for several hours .....The SCGC strings on average last 8-9 months before the dreaded "E string Thud.....I keep my guitars in cabinets and out in my music room . Living in Florida my RH is pretty much always 50-55% because of A/C....Cept during a Hurricane.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion