The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2024, 08:13 PM

A little background on me to give context. I have terrible hearing. I am completely deaf in one ear and hear mostly mids with the remaining ear.

I used to live sound for a living though, and at one time my hearing was far better than most. I could listen to a mix and tell you how everything was set. If the electric guitar had single or double coil pickups. If there was any fret buzz, little bits of tuning problems, exactly what frequencies were creating standing waves and needed to be brought back etc.

The hearing loss doesn’t mean that I miss everything though. Since I only hear mids now, I kind of hyper fixate on the sound that is within my limited hearing range, and often hear stuff within that range that others don’t notice.

For example, with mp3s I will often hear crazy stuff happening in the midrange that I’m sure would be masked if I could still hear the highs.

Thus I am judging the TD2 solely on what I is happening in the mid frequencies that I still hear.

With that said, what I hear on all acoustic guitar IRs is the same sort of weird frequency stuff you would hear if you were using multiple mics on a guitar, but not following the proper rules of how to place those mics. A sort of weird comb filter effect from the frequencies of the mics canceling each other out.

Turning down the spaciousness doesn’t eliminate this, but it does reduce it.

Also, would say that the Tonedexter 2 does a lot less of this than competing devices.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:45 AM

Does Tone Dexter 2 have Parametric EQ or is it bass mid treble type EQ.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

It’s more of an advanced parametric -

Check pages 20 & 21 -

https://as-tdii-software.s3.us-east-...uide_02-14.pdf
Old 05-20-2024, 01:26 PM

Hi - Does anybody know if the TDII can make use of the FX send jack for both FX send and FX return signals? I previously used a TRS insert cable (Y chord) for both send and return on the 1st gen. TD, but don't know if it's possible on the new model. I've "studied" the manual and gave it try, but I may very well have the output settings set improperly for that.
Thanks! Matt
Godin Multiac Steel HG
PRS Hollowbody II Piezo
Old 05-20-2024, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Ellis View Post
Hi - Does anybody know if the TDII can make use of the FX send jack for both FX send and FX return signals? I previously used a TRS insert cable (Y chord) for both send and return on the 1st gen. TD, but don't know if it's possible on the new model. I've "studied" the manual and gave it try, but I may very well have the output settings set improperly for that.
Thanks! Matt
I don't think so. Here's the diagram from the manual. You have TRS send and a separate TRS return:

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 12.30.34 PM.jpg
Old 05-20-2024, 01:38 PM

Thanks so much for the quick response Doug! If I'm reading that diagram correctly then the signal has to go back in through through the FX return jack. Guess I'll splurge on a couple more EBS flat patch cables
Thanks again! Matt
Godin Multiac Steel HG
PRS Hollowbody II Piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification