The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-28-2024, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Back in my LEO days, I could hire myself out as off-duty security. It could be interesting, and paid pretty well too.

The ones I remember are George Brett, Stan Musial (funny as heck!), Jackson Browne, Arnold Palmer (such gravitas!), Garth Brooks, and a young Faith Hill.

My favorite, though, was Davy Jones. A very nice man, and tiny. He had his wife and two teenagers with him, and was doing an opening for some store in a big mall. His wife was gorgeous in that British-sort of way, and she had the biggest diamond I've ever seen on her finger. She was also very sweet. The kids were punked out as British teens were back then (mid-90s), and well-mannered.

The mall had a small stage set up for him, and a piano player. The crowd of a couple hundred consisted almost entirely of middle-aged women. When Davy hit that stage, he immediately had every one of them in his pocket. He sang a couple of Monkees tunes, told some stories, and was incredibly entertaining. Honestly, I've never seen anything like it! Right at home on the stage. They loved him!

After the show, I walked them all back to the limo, and Mr. Jones asked me if I had read his autobiography. I told him no, so he whipped out a copy and signed it for me; it's called "They Made a Monkee Out of Me," and is actually very good.

It was an interesting couple of hours.
That's a great story!
Old 05-28-2024, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I had a nice chat with my all time favorite hockey player during the break at a Springsteen show. Peter Forsberg did not much care for Bruce (this was his acoustic Tom Joad tour). His favorite band? Abba, of course

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-28-2024, 02:36 PM

My daughter used to be the booking agent for Kevin Bacon's band.

Six Degrees of Separation from Kevin Bacon

So, I'm 1 degree of separation from Kevin Bacon, and since you guys know me from this forum, you are 2 degrees of separation from him.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:21 PM

I have met lots of musicians at merch tables after gigs, but the meetings with names which stick in my head are:
  • borrowing Dave Cousins of The Strawbs' guitar to do a floor spot in my Uni folk club - horrible things to play, those Ovations!
  • meeting Motorhead before a gig in Montpellier, France and sharing a beer with them as I knew their tour bus driver
  • telling Huw Lloyd Langton of Hawkwind that we were doing one of his solo songs in our band and he went to get a guitar to show us the correct way to play it
  • chatting with Richie Havens backstage before he went on at a festival - a real gent
  • chatting with Arlo Guthrie after his set at a festival - he lit up near where I was standing and we had a chat about this and that, then we were joined by Donovan and then by Joziah Longo - even got a photo of that meeting
  • asking Martin Carthy about the tuning for Prince Heathen and he went to get his guitar to show me how to play it
Old 05-30-2024, 04:18 PM

I got bone-crushing handshakes from Ted Williams and Fess Parker [he counts twice as Davy Crockett AND Daniel Boone.]

I saw The Three Stooges live, but the Curly was one of the latter-day fake ones.
Old 05-30-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endpin View Post
I got bone-crushing handshakes from Ted Williams and Fess Parker [he counts twice as Davy Crockett AND Daniel Boone.]

I saw The Three Stooges live, but the Curly was one of the latter-day fake ones.
This post made my day!

Among many, the funniest one had to be when the wife and I saw Joe Montana at SFO. She said, "was that Joe Namath?"
Old 06-01-2024, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endpin View Post

You reminded me of the time I met Ed "Too Tall" Jones, a defensive end for the Dallas Cowboys - a real giant of a man. Trying to shake his hand was like grabbing a Virginia Ham.
Old 06-01-2024, 09:07 AM

I sat with Mick Jagger after a Stones concert in Pittsburgh. I was with VP of Atlantic Records on their company jet, and he wanted to get back to NYC to go to Andy Warhol's house on LI where Bianca was staying. He was drinking Coors Banquet in a 7 oz. can, reading the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comics and listening to what I think was Gary Burton on a tape deck. Didn't say much to him after hello, he was obviously "coming down" from the concert high and was enjoying the quiet.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic