View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

As i posted on some other thread awhile ago, i did manage to sell my 0-18T and bought a used open back Deering Boston (B6). After receiving it, i ordered two sets of Pyramid silver-plated copper banjo guitar strings and a couple of single John Pearse nickel wound and plain steel strings that i would use for the re-entrant eaDGBE tuning that i wanted to experiment with. While i was waiting for them to arrive, i put on a set of Newtone Heritage 11-47 phosphor bronze strings that i had available, not expecting to like them particularly, since i had read a couple of posts slamming phosphor bronze strings on banjo guitars.

I was very surprised. The combination was quite pleasing to me, and i was also happy with my usual guitar finger pattern playing on the Boston. And even my strumming sounded pretty good. That was also surprising – i had read many posts pooh-poohing 6-string banjos: "You can't play it like a guitar", “Get a real banjo”, etc. Obviously, it didn’t sound like a blue grass banjo, but i’m not interested in (or capable of) playing bluegrass (I’m an old folkie). Suffice it to say, i was very happy with my new acquisition.

When the Pyramid strings came, i transferred the phosphor bronze strings to a size 5 guitar i have, and put strings 1-4 of the Pyramid set on the Boston. I then added two of the JP singles for strings 5 & 6, tuned an octave above standard. I’ve been playing the combination for three weeks now, and enjoying it immensely. As i said, i mostly play alternating thumb finger patterns on it rather than strumming or boom chuck, and i have been pleasantly surprised by how many of the songs of my repertoire sound good (different, for sure, but good) on the Boston. For those thinking about a banjo guitar, don’t be put off by the nay sayers. I assume that if you want to play bluegrass, 5-string is the way to go, but if you like folk, acoustic folk-rock, or folk-inspired pop, a banjo guitar is an excellent alternative. (I can’t competently comment on how appropriate it is for blues, jazz, or other types of music.)

As for a comparison between the phosphor bronze strings and the re-entrantly tuned Pyramid strings, i like them both! The latter are certainly more twangy and suggestive of a bluegrass banjo sound. The PBs are more mellow, though still clearly in the banjo camp tone-wise. After i play my current setup for a good while, i'll probably put strings 5 & 6 of the Pyramid set on to hear how linear tuning sounds with the silver-plated copper strings. Interesting days ahead.

Last edited by rlgph; 06-20-2020 at 02:11 PM.