View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
I guess you could say I'm a grandchild of the fifties sixties folk boom. Music was important in the home I grew up in and a lot of it stemmed from the folk era. My grandparents especially were Quakers and hard core lefties and a part of that scene. Think Oak Publishing, Sing Out, The Weavers, Pete and Woody, and you'll have an idea of what I'm writing about. And it seems to me that while the steel string was and remains vastly more popular for American (as in USA, not the continent) the classical guitar had its place back then.

I myself having recently turned fifty am solidly in the steel string camp. I've tried nylon string guitars a few times. I love the sound others can get from them. As for me a wide classical neck hurts like heck to play and even the mid priced cross overs have been overbuilt and sounded dull. So no real personal success. Its a kind of a shame and Im inclined to give it one more go.

Who here is using a nylon string for folk? Do you use it for ballads? To acompany singing? If you play steel string as well what determines what you prefer for which songs?
https://app.box.com/s/2mw9tt3qttknuj1rmksw5aj2ym5xqee9

A 1996 Yamaha CG110CE with a Nady wireless transmitter to a Fishman SA220 amp, recorded with a Zoom H4 and uploaded. Reverb was added on the amp. I left steel strings about 2 years ago after a lifetime of preferring their unplugged sound to the classical sound. Then, one day I plugged in the Yamaha to the amp and was instantly a nylon string convert. I'm 63. I divested myself of the 2 remaining steel string guitars I had (Breedlove and Goodall) and haven't looked back. I've also become more adept at acquiring a decent unplugged sound from the Yamaha since then but play mostly plugged and dial in the sound(s) I want.