View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Red face

For me it was mostly mechanical- a long time ago I broke two fingers on my left hand bicycle racing. when I started playing guitar later in llife, I first got a steel string because I always liked the sound.

At first I could hardly finger anything on it, so I eventually got a classical for the wider spacing in hopes that I could play that better. It helped, but then shortly after that in the mid-90's I discovered I could take a classical guitar course at L.A. city College for only $30 a semester- hardly more than a single private lesson.

So I went there for several semesters every Saturday morning where I got my real start, I found I took to reading for guitar better than for piano and been playing since.

But the talk of Mason Williams and Classical Gas above is also relevant here. I LOVED the song, and since my hobby was Super 8 film in the early 70's I HAD to use it for some film background.

I did this film in college, and had the song synched up with a reel to reel tape deck when I showed the film- this is only the final end part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivQx1DhgO7Q

Petty well worn now- and the track is from a 45 and the original 1/4" reel to reel and then dubbed onto vhs and then caputured to digital and downloaded to youtube so it's not the best audio.