View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 10:36 PM

I pulled the trigger on an MXL770 and a some Sony MDR7506 headphones. I figure these should pair up well with the Zoom R8, and that should get me started recording.

I know the MXL770 isn't going to be as good as a high end mic, but from what I can tell it should be really good for $65, and at that price I can work with it until I know better what I'll want to replace it with. From all the reviews I could find, there isn't anything close to the price range of this mic that's clearly better, and some that might not be as good. I'd probably have to pay considerably more to get substantially better. So this seems like the safest starting point. The B-2 Pro was intriguing, but at that price I'd need to hold off on some good headphones, stick with my cheap ones for now, and the only really advantage I could be sure of was the optional pickup patterns, which I'd like to try a particular recording technique I saw using a figure-8 and a cardoid mic together, but that will have to wait. Perhaps I'll get the B-2 later when I'm ready for a second mic, or maybe I'll want a pair of matched mics for stereo work, we'll see. I'll be able to experiment a little with this first, and expand later as I have more experience.

Meanwhile, while I wait on my new gear to arrive, here is a recent video I did using my Zoom H1 with a Rode SVM stereo mic for the guitar recording. Mixed into the audio are some of the natural sounds of the dogs and birds.

https://www.facebook.com/welchwestie...7310636864906/