View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
...I think it's going to raise my playing to a higher level. For the past four or so years, I've focused on my singing, learning new songs, adding little licks and bass runs. Right now I'm learning the lead stuff to ''Brown Eyed Girl''...
It will, if you initially treat as a related instrument that just happens to share the same tuning - IME once you start working through an amp you'll find it to be a whole 'nuther ball game, and just as a trained pianist can play organ to an extent (and vice versa) there's a definite difference in feel and touch required to bring out its best; that said, unless you're planning to do five-step bends extensively you may want to consider going up to a heavier string set in order to minimize the learning curve - in any event, I'd strongly recommend a wound G in the interest of a more familiar string-to-string feel. BTW I used a Bugera V5 at the local acoustic get-togethers - sounds like a real tube guitar amp (which it is) and can be dialed back easily to blend with acoustic instruments...

Since you've already been working on bringing licks and bass runs into your acoustic vocals, once you get some play time under your belt you might want to try the same with electric; with a little practice you can introduce some chordal/blues/pentatonic-based patterns, and since not too many players take the time/effort to develop this technique it can really add some flash to your stage show - and while you may not be able to play the "Brown-Eyed Girl" lead note-for-note, if you can cop enough of the essentials and still carry the lead vocals I think it'll take it out of the "overplayed" category in a heartbeat...

Use it well, often and LOUD...