View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'm a little confused, the two things you said you had seem to be preamps with analog outputs, the Avalon and the UAD. You have a separate A/D converter in addition?. If so, all you need is an "interface", something that takes digital in and gets it to the computer. Unfortunately, I'm not sure such a thing exists - and like a lot of gear, the names that get marketed are confusing. We see "interfaces' that are actually preamp->A/D->computer interface all bundled. Some let you bypass the preamps, and a few (very few) let you bypass the A/D. But I don't know of any that are pure digital interface to the computer. Might be such a thing, but I don't know of one, and a quick search just now didn't turn anything up. The market is pushing "all-in-one" solutions these days, not component parts.

The unit I used to use is an RME HDSP, which included both digital and analog inputs. So no preamps, at least, but still had A/D onboard. I just skipped that and ran my external A/D converter at the time (Cranesong HEDD) into the digital inputs, letting the RME A/D go to waste. So I had what (I think) you're describing: My preamp's (Great River) analog out to my A/D (Cransong HEDD) to the digital inputs of the RME card.
Hi Doug, Yes I mentioned I use a UA 2192 Converter,....... "Kev, exactly! I dont need the extra pre’s. The Profire 610 was/is a great interface because it has spdif, balanced ins and outs. My UA2192 has AES ins/outs, balanced ins/outs, ADAT ins/outs."