View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
...What do you think of D'Addario half-round stainless steel? They are supposed to be electric guitar strings but I see that many forum members use them also for acoustic purposes...Do you have any experience with them?...
I have loads of experience with them; back in the '70s-80s the HR350 set (12-52) was my go-to on my Hagstrom Swede, first-run Gibson '61 SG reissue, and '86 Fender/Squier Strat - until I sold the former two and rediscovered the "Strats-&-flats" tone all the surfer dudes consider the Holy Grail in the latter. Although I've used flats almost exclusively on electric for the last 30 years, I still keep a few sets around for when I need a bit of extra brightness for a particular gig (e.g. if we're doing mostly country/country-rock)...

In terms of acoustic guitar use I have an old Carlo Robelli J-45 knockoff set up with a Guitar Fetish dual-source (mag PU/condenser mic) system and the aforementioned Martin monels, that used to serve as my classroom guitar and currently does backup/bad-part-of-town open mic duty...

Our band was recently booked to be the closing act in a Beatles tribute show, and I needed something that had the general tonal vibe of a Gibson J-160 circa 1965, without investing in another guitar that will admittedly see very limited use...

I restrung it with D'A EHR350 Half-Rounds...

Let's just say it definitely has "that" sound - whether or not you like "that" sound is strictly a matter of preference - and I won't vouch for the results on an archtop...