View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Opinions vary - there are even a few that think guitars don't open up, their owners do. I recorded my home made 000 literally when it was first strung, at 30 days, 6 months and one year (it is over two now). Like my other recording endevors I tried to keep everything the same - put the same kind of new strings on before, same mic, settings, etc. There is a definite change at month 6 from zero - the A and D string both show an increase in amplitude using Audacity so I am going to say that the low mids are "opening up". I believe that the git is a little more "responsive" (whatever that means) which I attribute to the top braces loosening slightly.

Hard to say what you will experience - but I seriously doubt that a spruce topped guitar will ever gain that warmth associated with cedar - sorry, just different animals. And some luthiers argue that modern guitar are lightly braced to start with so they tend to be "open" out of the box - again, I don't know whether that applies to your 'gull or not.

You can have a great deal of fun (or waste a great deal of time) reading all the opinions about (1) do musical instruments really "open up", (2) what is the mechanism, (3) how can it be helped.

Last comment - when my old D-18 was scalloped and the b/p replaced it really opened up, LOL - but that is major structural surgery.