View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I appreciate all the advise so far.

I think if I understand everyone so far:

1. No pedals - use the mixer only- ok
2. Use the e835 for vocals -ok, buy foam windscreen.
3 Use the Shure 57 for non pick up instruments-ok - I need to get a second mic stand. or i do have a clip on K&K meridian condenser mic. That way they dont have to know how to play into a mic on a stand.
4. Have a stool set up -ok I have one.
5. Use a DI box- HMMM dont own one, not sure need?
6. Keep the Bose on the floor
7. MAKE EVERYONE WELCOME.
You do need a DI (it doesn't have to be an expensive one). Your mixer does not have a high-z input, which means that if someone shows up with a guitar with a passive piezo pickup, you won't be able to connect them to the mixer in a way that will sound good. Maybe they'll be OK with the mic, but if they like their pickup, and that's what they're used to, you will want to be accommodating.

The DI box will turn the signal into a balanced, low-z signal that can go into one of the mic inputs. This has the added advantage of letting you put the box next to the performer, but putting the mixer wherever it is easier for you to control it while the performer is performing. Even with active pickups, you will need to keep the cable fairly short to avoid the possibilities of noise and signal loss, and that will constrain you in terms of where you put the mixer.

The Meridian mic does have the advantage you mention in terms of playing to a mic on a stand, but it's also more complicated to set up, so you want to be sure you're up for fitting it on and then taking it off of guitars as the performers take their turns on stage--you don't want there to be a lot of time between performers.

Louis