View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Female Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringman
Was always a Bonnie Raitt fan from way back in the early 70's. When I was in high school Nancy Wilson was it.

I saw heart live in (19mumble mumble) and I was in love with Nancy Wilson after that show. I still love to play (dog and butterfly) for the kids, and even now I still get goose bumps from thinking about that show.
Absolutely, I saw Heart back in the day (76-77) they were rocking for sure. Nancy Wilson is a good RYTHYM guitarist, but their lead guitarist was a friggin genius. He's the one who came up with the Magic Man/Crazy on You lead, Barracuda, all the other good leads... I think he was a rock n'roll burn out though. Too much drugs & rock n'roll lifestyle and the Wilson sisters let him go in the 1980 or so. Of course they haven't rocked since the late 70's or early 80's anyway. That 90's album full of Air Supply-like hits was an embarrassment... but my wife liked it... so go figure.

You can't beat Liz Phair or Bonnie Raitt for female musicians with soul.... with a capital S. No sell out, straight ahead, from the soul... beautiful songs.

Eva Cassidy had a beautiful voice, but she never really hit her stride. Taken away much too young. I liked her take on "Field of Gold" but somehow I think she would have ended up singing in a Disney animated film. Great voice, but I tend to prefer the singer-songwriter types. I admire people like Aimee Mann, Liz Phair, Bonnie Raitt, even Sheryl Crow... all good tunesmiths.

Last edited by GeetarMonkey; 04-27-2006 at 02:19 PM.