View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standicz View Post
Use the strings your guitar likes (to quote Tommy Emmanuel)

I use 80/20 on my hog-ceddar Om, which I usually run through PA... But I wouldn't use it on my spruce-rosewood Dreadnought.

Glad they exist though for my Om!

Btw I came to this forum today for a bit of wisdom on these strings, because a clerk in local shop tried to convince me that " 80/20? No sir, never heard of it . They never produced anything like that. What is it supposed to mean, anyhow?)

I know the wire, chosen by D'Addario in the 30's, is supposed be brass but is called bronze for some reason and I was sure I'm gona find out here and I can lecture the clerk next time... and the first topic on the main page was "80/20..meh or yea" If I believed in divine signs, this would count. Now off I go to the search bar, the noble history of steel strings awaits!

Update:
I didn't find anything reasonable. Can anyone confirm that the guitar industry simpy calls "brass" the wrong name "bronze" ouat of tradition and that's that? I mean these people would know the correct name of an alloy they are selling worldwide for allmost a century.

I also read on wikipedia that archaelogists ceased to use these terms and simply use "Copper alloys" instead because there are too many different types.
The composition of the wrap wire on the wound strings is:

For 80/20 strings - 80% copper and 20% zinc.

For phosphor bronze strings - 92% copper, about 8% tin, and trace amounts of phosphorous.