View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 02:52 AM

for those who want a more rounded opinion of the comparison of a U87 and a U87ai....

http://recordinghacks.com/2011/03/19...u87ai-vs-u87i/

And as for the KM184, for every hater out there, there are 10 pros using them silently. Just look in the classical musical recording world how many people love KM184s and how KM84s are rarely seen in the genre of recording. It all comes down the source, and what you want to bring out in the recording, and then of course, the right preamp helps, as KM184s seem to pair very well with darker pres. I've known more than one person who read all the rave reviews on forums of the KM84 (which btw I like), sold there KM184s, which they liked, to buy a KM84 and then went back and re-bought a KM184 because they missed what it brought to the mix. I woudn't mind buying a KM84 in good condition but every one I come across is in need of some TLC with the mic already at a premium. That's why I take opinions on forums with a grain of salt, especially regarding the bashing of modern Neumann microphones. I have plenty of good mics, I don't have to hold on to microphones that don't work. And if the modern Neumanns didn't work, I would replace them with something that did in a heartbeat. But the modern Neumanns get the job done for me. The only good thing about the Neumann bashing is that it helps keep the prices on newer Neumanns down in the used market

The best post I ever saw about the KM184 is this one that I found on GS a while back by user Omnicron_9 (I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him)....

As soon as Neumann discontinues the KM-184 and introduces the KM-284, everyone will swear:

1. The KM-184 was one of the best mics Neumann ever built.
2. The KM-284 is one of the worst mics EVER.

KM-284ically yours,