View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Default New tuning heads (Graph Tech Ratio heads)

I started the install and I ran into a little problem.

I used the ream and file to make the holes sungly fit the heads.

Then I mocked them up to see how they would work.

But I ran into a little problem being that with the plate on the back it made the pegs too short , not having enough room for the strings after winding them on .

I've decided to take the plate off and use the suggested "alternate method" by the manufacturer.

The heads have two locating pins that fit in to the plate that keep it from rotating out of position.

Since I'm not using the plate I'm going to drill two holes for these pins and mount the heads flat on the back of the head stock.

I'm using the heads to line up the holes before drilling. I'll repeat this process for the rest of the holes as I go. The cracks you see were already there and they are not structural but superficial and do not affect the head stock wings.

So far this is the only negative I've found about the Graph Tech Ratio tuning heads. But I can't expect them to anticipate every head stock thickness which was causing the problem.

I finally "got'er done".

They look pretty good. I figured that looking at the old holes that this is the 4th set of tuning machines to go on the ol' girl. It will most likely be the last ones.

I guess the next thing will be the bridge. After that I could theoretically string her up and let her sing.

Ron