View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningside View Post
…Having said that, capos exist for a reason.
Hi morningside

Capos exist for several reasons. And many of us use them not for what they were apparently created for (musically that is).

To easily and quickly change one key to another…
…without learning the chords in the new key. By applying a capo so the original chords are now raised to allow that it allows one to do this nearly instantly.

This can be because of lack of experience (not a criticism) so a beginner can play in otherwise unplayable situations.

I've seen many a guitar player use a capo to play along with a church pianist so they can play in Key of G but sound in Ab (capo 1st fret and play in G sounds in Ab etc).

This only works partially…it becomes impossible to get the capo high enough up the neck sometimes to achieve the goal of playing in a lower key using the same chords. If you try to play in Eb by lowering the capo, it cannot because it would have to be on the 11th fret.

To shift the voicings of chords…
…so we are not all playing the same thing at the same time. I've seen amateur bands, and Worship Teams where three guitars are all playing the same chords and strum patterns at the same time.

Using a capo can allow them to play different chord voicings by shifting the apparent key.

To shift the timber of the guitar…
…by applying the capo further up the neck so the bass is not so low, and there treble notes are higher than usual using open chords.

To create unique voicings and backings…
…or the mood of a piece.

To change the apparent tuning of the guitar…
Using three string cut capos you can simulate a more Irish sound, or DADGAD-ish style runs.

There are many reasons to use a capo, including "I don't know how to effectively use barre chords…"

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…