View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
As mentioned above - there is deep seeded, lifelong depression, which can be genetic in some cases, and then there's a more "environmental" version.

I've seen how both can be something not to be ignored, and can certainly understand how the elderly population has been on the increase. Most of them were on the early years of the baby boomers and were small children during the end of the depression. They've never experienced the chaos we are experiencing in our world for so many reasons...up to and including the fact they've seen world population more than double in their lifetime.

For four years now, I've been living with my elderly parents - taking care of my Dad with dementia who passed a year ago. Mom has lifelong anxiety and depression issues and it's been harder to deal with by a long shot than my Dad's dememtia (who we kept at home much longer than we should have) There are times when I can feel her "attitudes" rubbing off on me - thank goodness for my music, exercise and golf to keep me centered. It's especially hard during the winter months to keep sane.

Individuals like my Mom will likely never find help unless they can get a great therapist who can help change the way they think and see things. There is no medication that is going to help that much, especially without major side effects.

So, in answer to the OP - depression takes on many forms. Some are possible to get through - others are much, much harder.
That’s a tough situation doing in-home care; your mom’s condition is basically exactly like my mom her whole life, anxiety and depression, clinical, and for my brother and I and the in-home care workers it was a very tough and exhausting situation for all of us.

She has since passed away and I only wish it had been easier for her.

Nice to have you on the forum, I’ll keep you in my prayers.