View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Wow Doug!

Aloha Doug,

What a difference - in everything about that new mix. I just A/B'ed yours & Redavide's original mix several times (through Adam A7X near-field's, Daedalus 803 mid-field's & AKG Studio 240 headphones). Like night & day! It's like Sound on Sound comes to AGF. You know, like when they go to a guy's studio & clean up the studio AND the guys mixes?!?

How generous of you. It must have taken some time to use the tools you did to open & clean up Redavide's original mix to allow the music to shine through as well as it does.

The improved dual mono, stereo simulated track did reveal a trebly harsh edge while strumming on his guitar (needs some warmth), the buzzes (indoor heating shrinks those fretboards this time of year), the untreated room plus a tad of noise & uneveness at the end on the timing that was difficult to really hear in the original mono. The UAD reverb is a huge improvement.

But you really made that piece shine, Doug. It's so opened up now. That ease & openness of space is the toughest thing for home recordists to achieve consistently. All of your music has that quality. But you made it happen for Redavide & I'm sure he didn't have a CMC641 on it.

You embody a rare combination of qualities, my friend: technical mastery of complex audio gear & techniques, great musicality & taste, very discerning "engineer's" ears, fantastic & creative composing & playing, all in one very generous & patient soul. Throw in some great communication & writing to boot. Wow! I learn so much from your posts, Doug.

It will be fun to hear Redavide's reaction from Milano. He'll love your improvements! Nearly as important, it will help him spend his money more wisely at this point of his development. His $2K could go up in smoke quickly with the wrong choices. Your blueprint sends him down a smarter path. (Ya Need that room treatment though, Redavide. I'd also ask Sdelsolray for suggestions as to how to best spend that money on gear. He set me up very well on my live rig).

And thanks for listing the "how to do it" part of the editing equation. There is so much about Logic Pro that I need to did deeper into - especially the editing part.

I'm getting the tracking, basic editing & plug-in's down now, at least in a rudimentary workflow. But using the additional tools you revealed in revamping Redavide's piece opened some doors for me, brah. I know this takes some time from your day. But you know how much we do appreciate your experience & information. Mahalo for sharing it so freely.

All the best to you on a very cool December night here in the Islands - with thunder & lightning?!? Unheard of here.

Mahalo a nui,

alohachris

PS: Don't forget to compile all of these "in the studio," step-by-step, 'how-to' pieces for a future compilation journal for sale. " Home DAW Recording for Acoustic Guitar Players," or something like that. I'll buy it!-alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 12-11-2011 at 12:10 AM.